What's new

Slow upload on new firmware 3.0.0.4.220

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spiggot

New Around Here
My upload has dropped from 15Mbit to 2.5Mbit after upgrading. Tested using several devices, wired and wireless, 2.4 and 5Ghz, with numerous settings, same result. Used same settings as previous firmware from saved config, same result. Swap to a different router, back up to 15Mbit upload. Download has remained at 60Mbit throughout, no problem there at all.

Is this just me? I don't want to roll back, but guess I will have to....:confused:

My upload has dropped from 15Mbit to 2.5Mbit after upgrading. Tested using several devices, wired and wireless, 2.4 and 5Ghz, with numerous settings, same result. Used same settings as previous firmware from saved config, same result. Swap to a different router, back up to 15Mbit upload. Download has remained at 60Mbit throughout, no problem there at all.

Is this just me? I don't want to roll back, but guess I will have to....:confused:

After upgrading to this new version and resetting back to factory settings don't reload your old saved settings, as these might not work properly. Reconfigure it manually instead.

I just bought this router and immediately updated the firmware to the latest version, 220. I have found that the upload is very slow, compared to where is should be.

I am uploading at 10Mbps, my other router uploads at 35Mbps. This is from my wired desktop.

I know my router had no old settings, because it never had any settings, and installing 220 required them to be wiped, because the router had the 32k NVRAM firmware on it before I upgraded.

I just bought this router and immediately updated the firmware to the latest version, 220. I have found that the upload is very slow, compared to where is should be.

I am uploading at 10Mbps, my other router uploads at 35Mbps. This is from my wired desktop.

I know my router had no old settings, because it never had any settings, and installing 220 required them to be wiped, because the router had the 32k NVRAM firmware on it before I upgraded.

So what did you do to you wipe your old settings? It doesn't happen automatically.

I didn't have any old settings, and it said that it they had to be wiped. In this case, I believe it was automatic, because I went from a 32k NVRAM to a 64k NVRAM build.

I literally plugged my new router in, and went straight to the upgrade firmware page.

I didn't have any old settings, and it said that it they had to be wiped. In this case, I believe it was automatic, because I went from a 32k NVRAM to a 64k NVRAM build.

I literally plugged my new router in, and went straight to the upgrade firmware page.

You actually did have old settings, although they were the default settings for 32KB nvram. And there could have been any random stuff in the upper 32K of nvram, since you weren't using that part.

If it were me, I would make sure that I completely cleared my nvram, and then re-enter my settings manually.

I just wiped the router, and the results are the same. I am unable to upload faster than 10Mbps.

Edit: Since I lost all of my settings anyways, I went ahead and loaded 3003_178 and performed another wipe. My upload speeds are still limited to ~10Mbps.

Last edited:
I just wiped the router, and the results are the same. I am unable to upload faster than 10Mbps.

Edit: Since I lost all of my settings anyways, I went ahead and loaded 3003_178 and performed another wipe. My upload speeds are still limited to ~10Mbps.

Try resetting your modem - I've seen a few reports of people having speed issues when moving their modem to a new router. Turn the modem off for about 2 mins if it's DSL, 5-10 mins if it's cable. Then turn it back on, and try again.

After upgrading to this new version and resetting back to factory settings don't reload your old saved settings, as these might not work properly. Reconfigure it manually instead.

Spot on RMerlin. I was being lazy by not re-configuring manually. I reset to factory, upload speed back to 15 Mbit. Saved the new almost empty config. Without wiping I reloaded my broken config and speed once again drops to 2.5 Mbit. Reloading the empty config speed increases back to normal. This is without wiping in between, so the problem is clearly the saved config from previous version as loading it cripples the upload. There wasn't even that much configured in the broken config, so I'm surprised it had such a negative effect.

For what its worth, this only seemed to affect internet upload speed, not LAN speeds over wired or wireless. It didn't help that I upgraded my laptop card to 5Ghz yesterday, so I spent time troubleshooting that first and swapping back to the old card before I worked out it was the router.

Thanks for your help, hope my problem helps someone else.

Try resetting your modem - I've seen a few reports of people having speed issues when moving their modem to a new router. Turn the modem off for about 2 mins if it's DSL, 5-10 mins if it's cable. Then turn it back on, and try again.

I have Fios, and I have reset my modem. Maybe I should RMA the router.

Try turning QoS on with your maximum upload speed.

I had already changed my QoS settings, doing so adds 3-4 Mbps, but it's still less than half of what I get with my old router.

I've also powered down my FiOS modem and let it sit for a few minutes without any success.

After a botched attempt of installing DD-WRT, I found recovery mode for the RT-N66U and I used the Asus utility to restore the stock 220 firmware. I had also tried a few 30-30-30 resets.

Once I got the stock firmware up and running again, I ran another speedtest.net test and I'm getting better than my advertised speeds. So I guess my problem wasn't a 220 issue.

My slow upload speed problem has re-appeared, and it much worse than before.

My download speed is about 3.6Mbps, and my upload is only 7.5Mbps.

With my other router I can get over 50 down and 35 up.

I have Fios, and I have reset my modem. Maybe I should RMA the router.

Since you have FiOS and have to use Verizon's router anyway (for stuff like TV guide), why not simply get a better router from Verizon themselves? Right now they have this:
https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts
Latest revision of Actiontec MI424WR router, with Gigabit Ethernet ports (WAN and LAN), powerful CPU (1.2 GHz ARM CPU), 128MB RAM, 128MB FLASH, 802.11n support with 2x2 radio with user-replaceable antennas (you can upgrade them for better reception), with "free product replacement" (in case if the router goes bad) by Verizon themselves - all that for only $80.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!