What's new

SNMP shows incorrect SPIKED traffic on RT-N66U Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fred Johnston

Occasional Visitor
I upgraded my Asus RT-N16 (Tomato) to RT-N66U (Merlin) and my old router had beautiful accurate SNMP graph using NetUse Traffic Monitor on my mac.

Now the graph is SPIKEY and not accurate (it shows spikes of 9Mbps and my max DSL is about 5Mbps).

I ran and upload and download test, and spikes are about 3x what the true average should be.

You can see results on YouTube at

Can this be fixed? (I can't find any averaging settings in my NetUse Traffic Monitor.

This looks like the value you are getting went from a counter on the ethernet interface to a value. You'll probably need to examine the MIB or walk the device to figure out what has changed.

Since original post... I'm ALSO getting the same type of readings on my Android using "SNMP Traffic Grapher" and they aren't wrong if you buffer them out, but just very jerky, thus high/low/stop/high/low/stop... so i think it's a problem with the feed that this router is feeding...

ALSO, these two graphers have worked for a lot of routers, and NOT giving these whacky values in the past... I think Asus needs to look at this... or at least MERLIN should be able to help them get it fixed, if Asus can't figure it out...

This looks like the value you are getting went from a counter on the ethernet interface to a value. You'll probably need to examine the MIB or walk the device to figure out what has changed.

Concur - RMerlin's builds do a better job at SNMP, but one has to look at the MIB, and see if things changed there...

I need some instructions how to do this... i just always simply let the software option to "Scan the routers interfaces" and then pick the ppp one. I've also tried the other interfaces, but the ppp is the only one that makes any sense, and now gives me these spikey readings... just needs to be averaged over a longer period, it looks to me... Beyond that, give me instructions, and i will follow...

I think your replies might all be hiding the fact a fix is needed, and thus RMerlin not looking into this...

Can anyone that actually HAS this RT-N66U router test and report back?

I have used multiple pieces of software on multiple platforms (Win/OSX/Android).
I have paid software that has ALWAYS worked on MULTIPLE routers.

ALL free/paid s/w exhibit the EXACT SAME issue. SPIKEY values, too high, then flats between.
It appears the router is giving screwy values!
If it were a COUNTER, it would keep INCREMENTING!

I've NEVER had to f*ck around with SNMP MIB's etc.
I just point to the IP of my router, scan the interfaces, pick ppp0... that's it!

P.S. I am totally thankful for your replies and taking the time to respond!!!
Fred

cleardot.gif

Firmware is current version 380.66_4.
I have TWO of these routers, tested on BOTH.
(one is a backup in case the other fails)

Do YOU ACTUALLY have this router?
If so, I'm looking for someone to test theirs on, that would be a great help.