What's new

SOHO Mac/PC w/Remote Advice Needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gilsurf

New Around Here
1st: This site is very helpful! Thanks for the efforts of all!

I have read through many articles on the NAS solutions here and in the forums and feel like we are 1/2 way there.

I do tech for a small SOHO and do admin remotely (never on location if you can believe that). Going from all local storage on each machine to a NAS. Set-Up:

• Macs 10.4/5 via wifi g/n
  • PCs XP via wifi g
  • Wifi: Airport Extreme G/N
  • ISP = 10 Mbits down, 6 up
  • Capacity needs: Small... <100GB

I am looking for a NAS that can do:

• Local NAS basic file storage (all can do this simple)
  • MAC support (most)
  • Remote management via web not on local network
  • Remote access that allows some form of mounting the drive on Macs and PCs (very important)
  • Remote NAS-NAS back-up

Other considerations:

• No need for media streaming, etc.
  • Not sure if we need a 2 disk array RAID as we will do an off-site NAS-NAS back-up (accessible in 15 min). It seem like the RAID gives you faster recovery if a drive fails, correct? (Just saw the argument against a RAID for a SOHO and makes sense)
  • If not BYOD, and it crashes/dies, the unit is done, correct? Arguments for BYOD?

And a big question: Is it realistic to use a NAS via WIFI G (NAS hard wired to wifi router of course) for office processes like MS Office docs stored on the NAS). Or, is it necessary to be ENET?

From above, pointers on an appropriate NAS? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Gil

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!