What's new

[Solved] Network codec control between components?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BMullaly

New Around Here
I am building a home network centered on my NAS (WD My Book Live with Twonky) that is connected to a PC running Windows 7 and a Panasonic TV. All are wired to the network. The TV and the PC can currently stream videos from the NAS, but not all video file types. I don’t understand which system controls a file’s codec.

I have a movie file (Xvid codec) that is on the NAS (certified dlna server). The TV, a certified dlna player and renderer, does not list Xvid as a supported codec and cannot open the file on the NAS. The Xvid codec is supported by the NAS.

If I copy that same movie to the PC, which does support Xvid codec, and then call the file from the TV, it streams perfectly fine from the PC to the TV. I do not believe any transcoding is being performed changing the codec (at least that I know of).

I can also call the same movie on the NAS from my PC and it will play perfectly fine.

The question is why will the TV play the same file from the PC and not the NAS?

I think I figured out the answer to my own question. I do believe Windows 7 is transcoding the file to the TV which would explain my results.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!