What's new

SOLVED: Segate 5TB drive showing up Unmounted

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pabla

Regular Contributor
Hello all, new to these forums! I just recently updated my rt-ac3100 to 384.7 from 384.6. After that my segate drive that is partitioned (4tb and 1tb) kept showing up as unmounted. I've tried restarting the router, the drive, and plugging in the drive to a computer and running disk repair. Nothing has helped, does anyone know of a solution for this? Ive tried a lot of possible solutions from the forums and nothing has really worked.

Hello all, new to these forums! I just recently updated my rt-ac3100 to 384.7 from 384.6. After that my segate drive that is partitioned (4tb and 1tb) kept showing up as unmounted. I've tried restarting the router, the drive, and plugging in the drive to a computer and running disk repair. Nothing has helped, does anyone know of a solution for this? Ive tried a lot of possible solutions from the forums and nothing has really worked.
Have you tried setting the USB preference on the system setting page to USB2?

Have you tried setting the USB preference on the system setting page to USB2?
Yea I’ve tried that as well. For whatever reason the drive doesn’t show up at all when USB 3 is set. I currently have it plugged into the 2.0 port.

Anyone have any idea on how to fix this? My last option is restoring the drive, which I don't want to do because I will loose a lot of data.

Anyone have any idea on how to fix this? My last option is restoring the drive, which I don't want to do because I will loose a lot of data.
I'm thinking you need to partition and use ext* file system. Asus only recognize 4tb drives, as far as I know.

I just recently updated my rt-ac3100 to 384.7 from 384.6. After that my segate drive that is partitioned (4tb and 1tb) kept showing up as unmounted.
You could go back to using the previously working version.

For whatever reason the drive doesn’t show up at all when USB 3 is set. I currently have it plugged into the 2.0 port.
So are you saying that it is working with USB2, but not with USB3?

You could go back to using the previously working version.

So are you saying that it is working with USB2, but not with USB3?
I meant that when its plugged into the usb 3 port the drive doesn't show up at all, but when its plugged into the usb 2 port it shows up but it says unmounted.

I have a 4TB Western Digital and it still won't mount as usb3. It will mount as usb2 though. In my expereiance there have been many cases of this and it's an Asus issue. Nothing @RMerlin can do. What file system are you using?

I have a 4TB Western Digital and it still won't mount as usb3. It will mount as usb2 though. In my expereiance there have been many cases of this and it's an Asus issue. Nothing @RMerlin can do. What file system are you using?
It’s weird how it mounted on 384.6 via USB 2.0 but not anymore. I’m using FAT32 file system

It’s weird how it mounted on 384.6 via USB 2.0 but not anymore. I’m using FAT32 file system
That may be your problem there. can you try some other file format like NTFS or EXT4?

Currently running a chkdsk and going to check if that will help. After that I will be converting to NTFS, found a program that will convert the HDD from FAT32 to NTFS without loosing the HDD contents. Could that cause an issue?

Last edited:
Currently running a chkdsk ans going to check if that will help. After that I will be converting to NTFS, found a program this will conver the HDD from FAT32 to NTFS without loosing the HDD contents. Could that cause an issue?
I've never heard of that you could try. If the process fails you will likely lose everything anyway.

I've never heard of that you could try. If the process fails you will likely lose everything anyway.
okay so after a lot of trouble shooting I believe I got it to work. If I understand this correct the ac3100 can only read FAT32 discs under 2tb in size, and mine had just reached over 2tb. Converting the disk to NTFS using cmd (without loosing data), has seemed to fix the problem. Also now the disc is visible using the usb 3.o port.

okay so after a lot of trouble shooting I believe I got it to work. If I understand this correct the ac3100 can only read FAT32 discs under 2tb in size, and mine had just reached over 2tb. Converting the disk to NTFS using cmd (without loosing data), has seemed to fix the problem. Also now the disc is visible using the usb 3.o port.

Just curious, what program and what commands you use to convert? I have not known there is a program that run via cmd that can do that.

Just curious, what program and what commands you use to convert? I have not known there is a program that run via cmd that can do that.
Here’s the YouTube link that I followed:
I tried a few other programs that would practically do the same thing but either they don’t work or you need to pay. Using the method from the YouTube video doesn’t work all the time, but it worked for me.

Here’s the YouTube link that I followed:
I tried a few other programs that would practically do the same thing but either they don’t work or you need to pay. Using the method from the YouTube video doesn’t work all the time, but it worked for me.
Oh. I always had the impression that MS disk tools would always format the disks, so didn't notice that there was another possibility. Thanks.

Hi Pabla,

I have a 5TB WD external disk, just to confirm with you, so Its possible to have a disk with more than 4TB but the partitions should have a max of 4TB right?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!