What's new

Some assist with port forwarding w/telnet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BobMCT

Regular Contributor
Yep! I do have a server that requires access via telnet (don't ask). I have my RT-N66U w/merlin 354.27b configured as follows:

Name Port-Range Local-IP Local-Port Protocol
telnet 23 192.168.x.y 23 both

Yet I cannot access the server from outside my LAN. I can access within my LAN.

Just wondering what else I can do? I'm using comcast as an ISP and I also have a forwarding port of 2023 to 23 defined as well to bypass any blocks the ISP might be imposing.

Suggestions? Thanks :confused:

When you say you have another rule

I also have a forwarding port of 2023 to 23 defined as well to bypass any blocks the ISP might be imposing.

is that to the same IP as the server that you are trying to access? This shouldn't pose a problem but you never know. The other thing I noticed was that the protocol you set is both. Telnet is a TCP protocol if I'm not mistaken. Again this shouldn't be an issue but try changing the protocol to TCP and see is that helps. If none of this works then try manually adding a port forwarding by this command:

Code:
iptables -t nat -I VSERVER -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 23 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.x.x:23

eth0 is whatever your wan interface is. I have used the web interface to setup port forwarding and haven't had this issue. Let me know if this helps.

Edit:
Just thought of this. Are you running a firewall on the web-server. If you are, make sure that you allow incoming connections from outside IP addresses otherwise the firewall could be blocking it. Hope this helps.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!