What's new

Sort Manually Assigned IP DHCP list?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnD5000

Very Senior Member
Is there any way to sort the Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list (LAN/DHCP Server tab) by IP?

Thanks

yes, copy/paste to Excel ...

no, but there have been some requests for that, maybe with a future release.

Unfortunately, no, but I would really like to Asus add that functionality.

JohnD5000,

I have a list of about 40 devices, so I use SSH to save and restore some important or more tedious NVRAM setting including DHCP staticlist. I am on Mac …

(1) Make a copy of the dhcp staticlist on a ThumbDrive “ASUS”
nvram get dhcp_staticlist > /tmp/mnt/ASUS/dhcplist.txt

(2) Edit the list. I used “Hex Fiend” Editor to move a block to the desired position or order; <xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx>192.168.1.101 where each block consist of <xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx> the Mac Address followed by IP Address to be assigned.

(3) Restore the new dhcp staticlist from the ThumbDrive “ASUS”
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="`cat /tmp/mnt/ASUS/dhcplist.txt`"

PS: Before AiMesh, I only used Merlin's FW which allows the dhcp-staticlist list to be sorted in the GUI :)

JohnD5000,

I have a list of about 40 devices, so I use SSH to save and restore some important or more tedious NVRAM setting including DHCP staticlist. I am on Mac …

(2) Edit the list. I used “Hex Fiend” Editor to move a block to the desired position or order; <xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx>192.168.1.101 where each block consist of <xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx> the Mac Address followed by IP Address to be assigned.

PS: Before AiMesh, I only used Merlin's FW which allows the dhcp-staticlist list to be sorted in the GUI :)

Thanks, that worked! Had a little problem until I realized that the symbol after " is the `(under ~ key) not ' (under " key).

BTW, I used to use Merlin too, but it is not compatible with AiMesh. Unfortunate. I saw a post where you can turn AiMesh ON in Merlin with a couple of lines of commands, but I'm not sure how stable that would be (otherwise Merlin would support it). I believe there are parts of Merlin that are not compatible. What would be nice if Merlin would support AiMesh if not using X Y Z etc functions . Many probably are not using incompatible functions. But, who knows what X Y Z functions are, so not worth the chance.

Last edited:
Thanks, that worked! Had a little problem until I realized that the symbol after " is the `(under ~ key) not ' (under " key).
Glad the convoluted way of sorting the dhcp_staticlist works for you :)

I hate the dhcp reservation interface on the asus firmware, which is why I still have an old wrt54gs running tomato as the dhcp server.

JohnD5000,

@LimJK

Do you know if it's possible to restore the device name using your method? I am also on a Mac, running ASUS stock build at the moment.
I have successfully restored the ID's and the IP's, many thanks for the specifics above and for any ideas on the names.

@LimJK

Do you know if it's possible to restore the device name using your method? I am also on a Mac, running ASUS stock build at the moment.
I have successfully restored the ID's and the IP's, many thanks for the specifics above and for any ideas on the names.

HuskyHerder,
Yes, the custom_clientlist is stored here (be careful of the quotes)

Save Values:
  • nvram get custom_clientlist > /tmp/mnt/ASUS/custom_clientlist.txt
Restore Values:
  • nvram set custom_clientlist="`cat /tmp/mnt/ASUS/custom_clientlist.txt`"
I always like to do a complete factory reset when I upgrade to new firmware, so that I am certain I am starting from a clean state. I am lazy, so, I need to find someway to make the process as painless as possible :)

There is a discussion here on how I use John's script to do that, however, please remember that the current script was written before Aimesh becomes available. By the way, I also customized all my devices icons which is stored somewhere else. Have fun!

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...on-3-0-0-4-384-20648.46038/page-2#post-399998

@LimJK

I wanted to give a huge thanks, for the help/links with the lists and the icons. Those are my most important files for me. I had them backed up, and then today, I rebuilt the system from scratch. It was so much easier to use the saved files vs hand coding all over again. I was back online in record time.

@LimJK
I wanted to give a huge thanks, for the help/links with the lists and the icons. Those are my most important files for me. I had them backed up, and then today, I rebuilt the system from scratch. It was so much easier to use the saved files vs hand coding all over again. I was back online in record time.
Excellent!:) I am glad it is useful.
By the way if you have old devices you sold away or gave away, you might want to edit away such old devices in "custom_clientlist.txt" before you do your next restore exercise. Eg. I upgraded to iPhoneXsMax and sold away my old iPhone ... so, I removed old iPhone from the list, if not it will be there for good; there is no GUI to remove them!

it's annoying.
Curious why sorting is important. It's a "nice to have" to make finding an entry easier, but once set up you (or at least I) rarely look at it.

Curious why sorting is important. It's a "nice to have" to make finding an entry easier, but once set up you (or at least I) rarely look at it.
For me it's important because I like to group similar devices in ranges. Like iOS devices, smart devices, media, etc. it's more organized and it helps me remember the IPs of devices if I have to access them or port forward to them, etc.

HuskyHerder,
Yes, the custom_clientlist is stored here (be careful of the quotes)

Save Values:
  • nvram get custom_clientlist > /tmp/mnt/ASUS/custom_clientlist.txt
Restore Values:
  • nvram set custom_clientlist="`cat /tmp/mnt/ASUS/custom_clientlist.txt`"
I always like to do a complete factory reset when I upgrade to new firmware, so that I am certain I am starting from a clean state. I am lazy, so, I need to find someway to make the process as painless as possible :)

There is a discussion here on how I use John's script to do that, however, please remember that the current script was written before Aimesh becomes available. By the way, I also customized all my devices icons which is stored somewhere else. Have fun!

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...on-3-0-0-4-384-20648.46038/page-2#post-399998
A question on this. I tried like described, but in restore I get the message "Segmentation fault". I saved the list on one RT-AC 86U and would like to restore it on another RT-AC-86U, both running Merlin 384.19.

A question on this. I tried like described, but in restore I get the message "Segmentation fault". I saved the list on one RT-AC 86U and would like to restore it on another RT-AC-86U, both running Merlin 384.19.
FlyByWire,
Oh this is a very old thread ... I am not sure what you tried, I assume you are talking about the instructions below, sorry, It is working on my end. be careful of the quotes, copy and paste the instructions into your terminal session vs trying to type on your keyboard. Hope it helps.
Code:
Save Values:
nvram get custom_clientlist > /tmp/mnt/ASUS/custom_clientlist.txt

Restore Values:
nvram set custom_clientlist="`cat /tmp/mnt/ASUS/custom_clientlist.txt`"
nvram commit && reboot

PS: the assumption here is your have inserted a Thumb Drive with a name "ASUS"

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!