What's new

Source Code Archive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chasing down the dropbear issue?

Just asking...
Nope. My AC68 hung when I changed a setting. I've been busy replacing it with a backup router and trying to figure out what happened. I must have flashed the thing thirty times already. I know it's a FW bug, but I havn't yet been able to make it reproducible. It's working now on 380.61_alpha1. It hasn't locked up yet, but changing any setting could break it.

Also - for the first build - one wants to have a fairly good size diskfile if running in a VM, it's not the AsusWRT that will take up the space, it's building the toolchain - 32GB likely is too small unless you're in a minimal Linux distro... 60GB should be much more than sufficient...

The toolchain is already compiled, and part of the repo.

And the reason for the VM suggestion ...

The short-term reason for the source-code is to make a script that extracts the settings from the .cfg. I couldn't find one anywhere. If there's something in the nvram that breaks the router, it's in the .cfg file too. I'm hoping I can track down the setting that breaks the router.

It's working now on 380.61_alpha1. It hasn't locked up yet, but changing any setting could break it.

Lot of developers, and a lot of code over time - and it's probably due for a redesign consistent with modern expectations of stability, security, and privilege separation...

Dig deep into that code base, and you'll gain a better appreciation for the folks that do take on the Augean task of cleaning up that stable and dropping new code/fixing bugs... it's incredibly brittle stuff inside - years of it...

Every software project hits that point at some time...

Lot of developers, and a lot of code over time - and it's probably due for a redesign consistent with modern expectations of stability, security, and privilege separation...

Dig deep into that code base, and you'll gain a better appreciation for the folks that do take on the Augean task of cleaning up that stable and dropping new code/fixing bugs... it's incredibly brittle stuff inside - years of it...

Every software project hits that point at some time...
Definitely agreed.

Folks, don't take the comment in the wrong way - it's just one person's educated opinion - some of the stuff is pretty good, but touching that code in some places can break things in unexpected other places...

There's multiple layers of this code - the Asus stuff - which is intended to be somewhat portable across different chips/architectures, and the vendor code - and all the glue* between them - and this is what makes doing changes inside AsusWRT such a challenge.

*glue - third party code and objects, including original GPL code from many sources... and some proprietary code/API's, which may or may not be fully documented.

AsusWRT is a complicated beast...

The toolchain is already compiled, and part of the repo.

Been there - but if one is cross compiling across multiple builds outside of AsusWRT, it starts to become a problem... I'm also doing RPi stuff across armel/armhf, and yes, building AsusWRT pretty much took me down the path of not doing that, but keeping everything sandboxed within a VM...