What's new

speed & config

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Diversion

New Around Here
Hi there,

i have an asus rt-ac87u router at home with 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz wifi enabled.

since my wifi card from tp-link is 8 years old and has a max. link of 300 mbps i decided to buy a new asus pce-ac88, hoping that speed would increase drastically since both support 802.11ac (router up to 1900 mbps & wifi card up to 2100 mbps).

since there is only one wall between the router and the client with the card i was surprised that max. speed link of the wifi card was only about 600 mbps, drastically changing up and down between 240 and a max of 600 mbps.

for testing purposes i

*updated the drivers & firmware of router & nic to latest version
*disabled 2.4 ghz wifi
*forgot the wifi in win 10 and reconnected to it
*changed settings for 5 ghz wifi to N-only with 40 mhz.

But either my card is not working correctly or i am missing something.

Any thoughts?

why do you think so? because of the 40 mhz?
Because 4 streams @ 40MHz using "n" WiFi has a maximum data rate of 600MHz. That's why "ac" and "ax" was invented, to increase the maximum speeds. If you want to go faster set the router's Wireless Mode to "Auto" and the Channel bandwidth to "20/40/80".

Because 4 streams @ 40MHz using "n" WiFi has a maximum data rate of 600MHz. That's why "ac" and "ax" was invented, to increase the maximum speeds. If you want to go faster set the router's Wireless Mode to "Auto" and the Channel bandwidth to "20/40/80".

i already had these settings enabled and received a max. link speed of 320 mbits, therefore i changed them.

Thanks for the help!

With Auto/80mhz/control channel 36 i get a maximum status link of 975 mbps.

You think this is okay or still underperforming?

Thanks for the help!

With Auto/80mhz/control channel 36 i get a maximum status link of 975 mbps.

You think this is okay or still underperforming?

1734Mbps is the theoritical maximum link speed under ideal conditions in a 4x4 setup. With the AC87U not being the best hardware and I assume some distance between your client/router your probably in the ballpark for realistic link speeds.

1734Mbps is the theoritical maximum link speed under ideal conditions in a 4x4 setup. With the AC87U not being the best hardware and I assume some distance between your client/router your probably in the ballpark for realistic link speeds.

well the distance between router and clients is only 3 meters with a thick wall in between. is there anything else i could tweak maybe?

Try different Control Channels and see which one is not only the absolute fastest but also the one which gives you the most responsive network too. There will more than likely be a need to balance these goals. :)