What's new

Speed on router converted to switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dlowe

New Around Here
I've read some articles but can't seem to find the exact information I'm looking for on this topic.

I have a DLink DGL-4300 router which would have a lower Total Bandwidth rating in the router charts. I was wondering, if converted to a switch, if the total bandwidth would then just be 1000Mbps since it has gigabit LAN ports or would I be better off just buying a new switch?

I am planning to buy an ASUS RT-N56U to replace my FTTH modem (since it sucks) and want to be able to properly utilize it's LAN speeds.

The router charts are WAN to LAN only.

Your D-Link already functions as a gigabit switch with full gigabit speeds LAN to LAN. If you configure it into it a dumb switch to be attached elsewhere, it will carry on doing the same.

The Asus has gigabit though, so what are you planning on doing with the D-Link?

The ASUS router is able to do the VLAN stuff required for the internet and IPTV for my FTTH. In another forum at Digitalhome.ca, a few people have tested it and it works great, even improving IPTV performance.

The dlink will be a switch in another room with 2 computers that is far from where the internet comes in. I have a 100 foot CAT6 running from the router to that room.

Got it. What you called a modem isn't being used as a modem.

The total bandwidth of a gigabit switch is determined by no. of ports/switching fabric, it's not limited to 1000Mbps. The D-Link will function as a gigabit switch, but there is a single gigabit connection from the router which all traffic between the two must share. If this matters, or if you want to avoid running costs/heat etc, just pull extra cable(s) through.

I found the thread you mentioned. Unless you have the ability and knowledge to verify the firmware code is safe (in which case you could configure it yourself), surrendering your router to a stranger on the internet is not the wisest idea.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!