What's new

SRW2048... Too loud

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spyrule

Occasional Visitor
So I got myself a used Cisco/linksys srw2048 for $70 after shipping... Woot!

However, this thing is too loud.

Has anybody modded this thing with new fans?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What use? If you need Cisco gear, sure. Otherwise, it is a hog. Something like ~40w and I think that is idle, not including loading up the ports.

Gonna cost you probably $30-50 a year over operating a newer 48 port switch.

And as you noticed, it is loud. You might be able to mod the case with new ventilation and fans, but I doubt just swapping the fans would really quiet it.

I actually fixed the sound problem...

Cut a 140mm hole in the top and installed a 140mm Case fan that had the same power requirements as the small fans.

Took the 3 factory fans out. This case fan now pushes 4x the air then those 3 small fans did combined.

Im not too concerned with the switch power consumption for now. No it's not the most efficient, but it was cheap and it works.

Assuming I can figure out how to setup LACP/LAG in port groups for my esxi servers and nas.

Btw small point, it has a power saving mode, and you can turn off unused ports, saves quite a bit of power. With it nearly fully wired with all my devices it's only pulling 12w atm...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I now have the case switch laying around and if you are willing to share how you did the installation, I would be interested. thank you

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!