What's new

stop syslog.log from saving under /jffs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cameos

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I just installed asuswrt merlin 378.55 on my newly purchased RT-AC66W, everything's OK so far but I notice that I have /jffs/syslog.log, and it keeps getting updated whenever my /tmp/syslog.log changes.

Generally I don't like the idea of writing log files on flash partition, if I have to, I'd much rather write them on my usb storage (which can be easily replaced).

So here are my questions:
1. how can I disable syslog.log to be updated under /jffs?
2. is it possible that I can mount /jffs read-only and only remount it read/write only when I need to write something?

Thanks,
cameos

This is done by Asus, not by me, and the flash chip used in their modern routers is designed to handle logfile storage.

This is done by Asus, not by me, and the flash chip used in their modern routers is designed to handle logfile storage.
A big flash chip and jffs caching/wear levelling helps, but I still don't like it.
Fortunately Asus code is still broken it only copies syslog while it grows for the first time and then only if subsequent ones happen to be seen to be bigger just before they rotate:-

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/blob/master/release/src/router/rc/watchdog.c#L2083

I have tried a hardlink, but get overwritten.
Code:
rm syslog.log && ln -s /dev/null syslog.log

So I did a quick and dirty trick:
Code:
cd /jffs
rm syslog.log; mkdir syslog.log
and it seems to work...
Thanks very much!
The directory trick works :)