What's new

Strange items in the networking tab Win8.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bugmenotplz

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys, I have upgraded my good old linksys e1000 to AC68U due to all the perks this router offers. Still one small thing bothers me. I use Win8.1 and I see from time to time strange item appearing in this tab, from foreign phones to tablets and other items. I disabled the Upnp service on the machine and re-checked the share to be set to private, still I can see these items appear from time to time. I use mac filtering and a pretty strong AES key, arp -i and netstat do not show any other IP's besides the allowed ones so I suspect it has something to do with some windows service. I thank you in advance for any helpful input.

I've seen this too but for me it was the bluetooth adapter on my pc that found the devices

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have removed also the bluetooth usb adapter, as I thought of it too, and still from time to time I see it, especially phones.

That was clear from the beginning, that somehow I see devices belonging to my neighbours, the only thing I can think of is those devices have the bluetooth discovery enabled. The point is that before with my previous router a Linksys E1000 these devices were not in the network tab, so it cannot be the bluetooth. As you can see it from the screenshot attached the devices are actually not connected to any network.

Attachments

• network_tab.jpg
    network_tab.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
This is normal, nothing to be concerned about. Windows will display any router it can identify in your area, to make things easier to configure when setting up a new router. I see at least two D-Link routers myself on my laptop.