What's new

streaming hd videos over the internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dieter

Hello, I generate many short (1-2 minute) HD video clips and would like for other family members to occasionally view these videos (in HD) over the internet using a software client.

I'm thinking of going with a QNAP or SYNOLOGY NAS which include HD video serving software.

Being new to streaming video over the internet, my question is what software will be needed on the client side to view these HD video clips on their computer over the internet? How can they connect to my NAS?

Hello, I generate many short (1-2 minute) HD video clips and would like for other family members to occasionally view these videos (in HD) over the internet using a software client.

I'm thinking of going with a QNAP or SYNOLOGY NAS which include HD video serving software.

Being new to streaming video over the internet, my question is what software will be needed on the client side to view these HD video clips on their computer over the internet? How can they connect to my NAS?

I would think they connect to your NAS like any remote connection, they could then just choose the file and whatever media player they have on their pc will play the stream. VLC player might be worth looking at as a client for HD files.

eta: from thiggins on a similar thread -

Low bandwidth and lots of streaming don't go well together. Remember that on your end, you will need lots of upstream bandwidth, which for most "broadband" connections is in short supply.

Why don't you just let them download the video from your NAS? Unless you've got a huge upload speed then this might not be the best way to go.

Last edited:
I think I understand where he's coming from. I am doing the same thing w/ a Buffalo NAS. Downloading is not too big of a deal, but my family members do not necessarily have a great download speed and it would be more appropriate to be able to stream a video (via an embedded player) so they could watch it while it's being buffered as opposed to waiting 3 hours to watch a 2 minute HD clip.

I am trying to do this as well but I think that the most simple way to do this is going to be through a VPN client of some sort and then have your comp act as a streaming server.

Has anyone done this w/ their NAS?

I think I understand where he's coming from. I am doing the same thing w/ a Buffalo NAS. Downloading is not too big of a deal, but my family members do not necessarily have a great download speed and it would be more appropriate to be able to stream a video (via an embedded player) so they could watch it while it's being buffered as opposed to waiting 3 hours to watch a 2 minute HD clip.

I am trying to do this as well but I think that the most simple way to do this is going to be through a VPN client of some sort and then have your comp act as a streaming server.

Has anyone done this w/ their NAS?

In this case, they'll sit for three hours watching a two minute clip.. If their internet is that bad, then I would avoid streaming like the plague. I've tried streaming SD movies over a 1.5 MB upload and found it better to just download and watch them later. Unless you like seeing Picture..Buffer..Picture..Buffer..Picture..Buffer.. it's really the only way to go.

You might be able to use something like Youtube, or Myspace video. I've never used either, but I bet something out there has a private video area (For personal videos). Even Facebook might be an option, I really can't say.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!