What's new

Stucked at 170mbps on a 500mbps WAN connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unchiu

New Around Here
Hi all.

I have a 500mbps fiber installed in my house and I'm using an Asus rt-n66u router (firmware version 3.0.0.4.276, because the last one from Asus website, 3.0.0.4.374.979, was really bad for wifi signal).

The maximum I can see from this router is 170mbps when I'm connected on my Intel gigabit network card. I also tested 2 more gigabit cards and the result was the same.. 170mbps.

I also disabled firewall, disabled Qos, disabled HW acceleration, disabled wifi, enabled Jumbo.. still 170-180mbps.

Using direct connection without the router I can get 450mbps and this seems right for a 500mbps connection.

Is there any settings that I'm missing for n66u to make it work at full speed on gigabit ?

Any other suggestion?

all that were turned on and off for the test purpose and now all are on their default positions.

I also disabled firewall, disabled Qos, disabled HW acceleration, disabled wifi, enabled Jumbo.. still 170-180mbps.

all that were turned on and off for the test purpose and now all are on their default positions

Try these then reboot
a. enable firewall
b. disable QOS
c. enable HW acceleration
d. enable/disable WIFI(it doesn't matter)
e. disable Jumbro frame

bluepoint, I tried all that you suggested and I still get 170mbps with little variations

jlake, I tried 1300, 1460 for MTU and the result was 140-160mbps. Do you have any suggestion for MTU/MRU ?

Thank you!

Okay, what I'm trying to see is if your HW acceleration is enabled cause RT-n66u will not give you more than the speed you're getting if it is disabled. Just make sure it is enabled, other features like QOS and others I don't remember disables HW acceleration.

Hi unchiu,

Is your ISP connection a PPPoE one?

If so, the problem probably is a firmware bug.

In AC66U PPPoE connections, only with fw 3.0.0.4.354 or earlier, the WAN/LAN bandwidth is not capped to 140 Mbps.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!