What's new

Super slow usb flash drive speeds - help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bman77

New Around Here
I have a 32gb 3.0 flash drive that I get 45mb/s write speeds with on my computer when it's plugged in directly. I put it into my rt-n66u running the latest merlin firmware and I only get 700kb/s - 1.2mb/s write speed on a wired connection. Why is there such a drastic slowdown? Thanks a lot guys!

How do you copy files, from samba, ftp...? how is formatted ntfs, ext3? what firmware? wired, wireless?...

How do you copy files, from samba, ftp...? how is formatted ntfs, ext3? what firmware? wired, wireless?...

I use samba, I'm on the latest samba firmware, it is formatted with fat 32, wired connection, and I'm just trying to copy videos from my documents to the usb stick, thanks!

FAT32 is not a good idea. For starter it's limited to 2 GB files max. I would recommend using NTFS instead (or ext2 if you don't need to move the stick back and forth to a Windows machine).

FAT32 is not a good idea. For starter it's limited to 2 GB files max. I would recommend using NTFS instead (or ext2 if you don't need to move the stick back and forth to a Windows machine).

The only thing is I use it in my ps3 which doesn't work with ntfs, would it work with my ps3 in ntfs on the network?

The only thing is I use it in my ps3 which doesn't work with ntfs, would it work with my ps3 in ntfs on the network?

When accessed over the network, it won't matter what filesystem is used. From the client, it will show up as CIFS either way. So you can safely use ext3 or NTFS if the disk stays plugged to the router.

When accessed over the network, it won't matter what filesystem is used. From the client, it will show up as CIFS either way. So you can safely use ext3 or NTFS if the disk stays plugged to the router.

Cool, I'll try out ntfs then :)

I have a 32gb 3.0 flash drive that I get 45mb/s write speeds with on my computer when it's plugged in directly. I put it into my rt-n66u running the latest merlin firmware and I only get 700kb/s - 1.2mb/s write speed on a wired connection. Why is there such a drastic slowdown? Thanks a lot guys!

Did your problem solved when you use NTFS.
If now do a low level format with NTFS disk type.It will solve most common problems.But doing a low level format may take some time for 32 GB,be patient.

How fast can you transfer from usb-hdd to wired vs. wireless?
I'm pretty new at this netbuilding stuff, butt why is there such a difference between speeds when you has the usb-driv directly plugged in laptop (like 70mb/s) and in to the router (like 7mb/s wireless) I mean the routers transfer speed should max out the hddspeed in my mind... but again, I'm new

My laptop is a Asus ux32vd which a put in a ssd so thats not the bottleneck,right?

How fast can you transfer from usb-hdd to wired vs. wireless?
I'm pretty new at this netbuilding stuff, butt why is there such a difference between speeds when you has the usb-driv directly plugged in laptop (like 70mb/s) and in to the router (like 7mb/s wireless) I mean the routers transfer speed should max out the hddspeed in my mind... but again, I'm new

My laptop is a Asus ux32vd which a put in a ssd so thats not the bottleneck,right?

The router's CPU is fairly weak compared to a normal computer. The max raw throughput the router can access the USB disk is around 25 MB/s. With the CPU being busy with the filesystem code and the Samba service, max network throughput over a share is around 15 MB/s.

I have a Fat32 HD attached to mine and I get about 12mb/s read and 7-8MB/s write (I am also pretty far from the router so speeds may be faster wired)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!