What's new

switch problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

madmax0518

New Around Here
I have a Netgear wndr3700 router near the front of my main house - it is hooked up directly to a fiber optic internet service. From that router, I have an ethernet cable that goes out to my detached office (it's about 40 feet away). In that office, I have a network switch - G605 v. 3 - to which I have two computers and a network printer attached. Off and on, I've had struggles maintaining connectivity.

Here is the most recent behavior: I am connected through the switch now - internet connectivity is no problem. After a time (could be five minutes, could be a day or more) I'll lose connectivity. I am still connected to the switch, but the network icon has a yellow triangle over it (I'm not a networking expert by any means) and the windows network and sharing center will show that I have no connection to the internet.

I've tried several different troubleshooting methods - turning my main router on and off - turning the switch on and off and disabling and enabling the network adapter in my computer. Each time I've turned off and on the main network adapter the problem has been fixed for a time (but then it always happens again). Also, if I disable the network adapter, then turn off the switch, wait ten seconds, turn on the switch, then enable the network adapter, it always works again right away - for a time, then it always loses connectivity again. I'd love to find a permanent fix.

Also, I'd love to hook a wireless router to the switch so I can have a good strong internet connection in the office and in the back yard - that also works sometimes and does not work others. I have stopped trying to get the wireless connection going until I resolve the switch issue.

Two more thoughts: I'm going to upgrade to windows 8 later this month (I know I shouldn't, but I always upgrade right away and seem to be able to muddle through) - I thought if were perhaps an OS issue that might resolve it. Also, I'd be willing to go out and buy a different switch if that would be helpful, but don't want to waste the money if it wouldn't.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Windows 8 ... by all means, wait a year. FIrst releases are good on tablet PCs, terrible on keyboard/mouse desktops.

On PC that is on the remote switch: Open command window, type
ping -t router address such as ping -t 192.168.1.1

see if there are ever any ping failures. Shouldn't be.

Add wireless coverage: take any WiFi router, reconfig it to be an Access Point (AP). There's a FAQ here on that.
Connect to switch.

Windows 8 Pro is find on desktops. Stardocks have a nice feature for free that gives you back Windows 7 (flag orb) controls for Windows 8. I've tested 8 on tablets, netbooks and desktop. No real issues and WiFi and Wired are improved.

Windows 8 ... by all means, wait a year. FIrst releases are good on tablet PCs, terrible on keyboard/mouse desktops.

On PC that is on the remote switch: Open command window, type
ping -t router address such as ping -t 192.168.1.1

see if there are ever any ping failures. Shouldn't be.

Add wireless coverage: take any WiFi router, reconfig it to be an Access Point (AP). There's a FAQ here on that.
Connect to switch.

I take it you have tried and tested windows 8 and windows 2012 yes??
And you have you seen the improvements in smb3.0 during network transfers as well yes? :rolleyes:

OP if your office is detached I take it you are running a outdoor rated cat5/6 cable?
To rule out the switch connect the cable directly into your laptop/desktop in your office.

Last edited:
I think I have seen that. I don't think its the connection of your switches. I think that means your internet itself is down somehow. Check your WAN device or your router or whatever connects you to the internet.

Its a strange thing that windows says that. its not clear what it means exactly. I suspect it happens when it cant do a proper DNS query.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!