What's new

synology 209j or something else?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oly0015

New Around Here
So I have been doing a bit of research and I'm to the point that I'd like to get some advice on getting a Nas storage unit. Been thinking of that the synology 209j is decent for the price but I've seen reviews all over the board for the product. Would like to know if this is the best choice for the money or if there is something better that fits the bill. The 209j seems to do all thats required and I'm not necessarily in a hurry so i don't need ultra fast speed considering the main computer will be on wireless.

Run storage and local backup for 3 computers
Stream video to a xbox360 and a separate streaming capable HDTV (not at the same time)
Run as a local web server with PHP ability
Would like two bays so i can upgrade storage in the future

Last edited:
What do you like about the Synology 209j? It's basically the same hardware as the DS207, which means you'll get 10-15 MB/s or so. Also looks like it is very hard to get from quick Googling.

Well thank you for the info on that, I did not see it in the performance chart when I looked and assumed it did a little better than that. I'll keep looking then, but in the meantime do you have any suggestions for units I should look into?

The local webserver requirement points you toward QNAP, Synology and Thecus, mainly. Or you could look at Windows Home Server based products (or build your own w/ WHS).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online