What's new

Synology or Techus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NAS option

• Synology DS413j

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Techus N5550

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Flash

New Around Here
I have been following quite a bit synology, as I wanted to buy a NAS for quite some time. However, I know very little about techus.

Right now I am debating between the DS413j or the N5550. I was almost sure I was going to go for the DS413j, but then I found the deal on the N5550 as well. DS413j for 350$, N5550 for 450$.

I know that the synology has a very good software, DSM. It also has the SHR for RAID, besides the standard types. I also haven't heard a lot about reliability problems with synology, and reliability is extremely important for me.

I will be using either RAID 5, or if synology, possibly SHR.

I heard Techus had some problems with RAID corruption. And in my opinion if you lose your data because of NAS problems, then I might not buy that NAS anymore, as it defeats the purpose of safe storage (besides the natural disasters - fire, earthquake, etc, or user error).

Besides that, I don't know much about Techus software or hardware reliability. It would be great if someone who has experience with both Techus software, and Synology DSM, could give me a comparison how streamlined it is, and the feature richness.

Now, the reason why Techus appears so much more appealing to me, is because for an extra 100$, I get a 5th bay, and the hardware is so much better (Dual core 1,8Ghz vs Single core 1,6Ghz and 2GB DDR3 RAM vs 512MB DDR3 RAM). But that is why I am asking about the features the techus has, will I have a usage for all that hardware?

I have also bought a Cyberpower 1000AVRLCD UPS, specifically for the NAS, and this is not in Techus Compatibility UPS list.

A little about me:
-I am the only person who will be using the NAS (maybe share a folder or two with some of my friends to exchange files instead of emailing them back and forth)
-My main usage will be backup and storage. I will just be copying files from Windows to the NAS and back. I might also use it as a torrentbox to seed more often (I always shutdown my PC when not using it).
-Other than that, I do not know what features NAS'es have that I might be using. Most likely I will also be streaming movie to my PC (rather than copy it back to my PC and then see it). Not sure how streaming works, but I use CCCP on my PC for my movies, not sure if I will have to install anything on the NAS itself?

Again, my main concern is reliability, because besides capacity, the reason I want a NAS is for implementing RAID 5, and be protected if one HDD fails.

If something happens to the NAS, or worse, it corrupts my array and data and I lose everything because of this corruption, I might as well not buy a NAS anymore, buy a bookself instead and fill it with hundreds of DVD's or BlueRays (tho I heard those don't last more than a few years either because they decay)

Any written feedback would be greatly appreciated

Poll is missing Synology.
They and QNAP and less so Thecus, I think, sell to the enthusiasts, SOHO, small enterprise.

Synology and QNAP, maybe Thecus, have on-line demos of their user interface and NAS software functionality.

Opinion alert: I assessed the heck out of those three (having dismissed Netgear, IOmega, Buffalo, et al). I've been very pleased with the Synology DS212 I've had for some time. Just my opinion.

Don't over-buy is my advise- home user probably a 2 bay is fine.
RAID - I elected to use a 2 bay drive with two independent file systems/volumes. This protects me from both drive failure and a corrupted file system. Also, in any NAS, RAID included, you have to backup to some external media. Like a big USB3 or eSATA drive - or as I do, backup only irreplaceable important files. My second volume is the Synology Time Backup (time machine), so I can get back most any file for the last x months).
RAID is not a backup, as we all say. Example: Controller electronics fails in RAID NAS; without an external backup (disciplined), you've lost it. With a two volume non-RAID, there's the external drive backup, and worst case, pull one of the drives and mount it (ext4 file system) on a another computer. Can't do that with a single RAID drive.

I think RAID5 makes sense for NASes much bigger than we home users have.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!