What's new

tagged vlan dhcp question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wiz

Regular Contributor
I have a 1000 mbits internet subscription. My provider has also got iptv, so they use tagged vlans. My internet goes through vlan34, and that has been setup in the iptv tab in the lan settings. That all runs smoothly.

Now I have signed up with their iptv package, and now I need a vlan4 tagged that also has to request a dhcp address.

I've got the vlan4 interface up, so far I did the following:

Code:
robocfg vlan 4 ports "0t 8t"
vconfig add eth0 4
ifconfig vlan4 up

I thought a udhcpc -i vlan4 should ask for an ip address and configure it to vlan4, but whatever I do, I seem to get an ip address, but it does not get assigned to vlan4.

anyone an idea what I am doing wrong?

Do you really need assign IP? for my ISP I use: ifconfig vlan6 10.245.11.100 netmask 255.255.0.0 broadcast 10.245.255.254 up to assign specific IP just to use udpxy.

yes I really need to assign an ip address else the settop box won't work. You assign an ip address to the vlan interface as well, but not by dhcp. It seems they do not support fixed ip addresses unfortunately. So I have udhcpc do dhcp lease and put that leased address in with ifconfig. That seems to work.

yes I really need to assign an ip address else the settop box won't work. You assign an ip address to the vlan interface as well, but not by dhcp. It seems they do not support fixed ip addresses unfortunately. So I have udhcpc do dhcp lease and put that leased address in with ifconfig. That seems to work.

I solved this problem time ago (similar issue). For some reason, udhcpc dont work properly "out-of-the-box". Seem that udhcpc script are wrong or is not applied after all, and dont work either with your our custom script.

My solution?? Install another dhcp client through entware (isc-dhcp-client-ipv4) and create your own script. IP will be assigned fine.