What's new

[Talk] - pfSense 2.3 release/upgrades

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks, Sfx.

Just installed Avahi in pfSense. I can ping ole-pfsense.local from pfSense (shell and WebGUI) but not from terminal on my MacBook.

Ole
Sfx,

I´m an idiot. I had installed Avahi, but NOT enabled it! After enabling Avahi, the host-name is resolved on my MacBook.

Again, thank you so much for your kind help.

Ole

mDNS (Avahi/Bonjour) rocks on a small network ;)
Yes, I love it. However, I´m still having problems with Avahi working with pfSense on my MacBook. While it works fine initially after the service is started, it stops working after 5-10 minutes. I´ve checked the status of the service in the WebGUI and Avahi is running, but I´m not able to access the WebGUI or ssh into pfSense using the qualified hostname.

The fix is to restart the service, then it works again but only for another 5-10 minutes. I´ve asked in the pfSense forum, but nobody has responded yet. I wonder if this problem is caused by running pfSense in a VM? Any ideas?

Ole

Update:
After connecting my MacBook to another network at another location the problem seems to be resolved. Avahi has been working flawlessly for more than 1 hour now after the move. I guess it must have been something weird with the previous network.

Last edited: