What's new

TCP Optimizer killed firefox with Cyberghost

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Just a puzzle, so I was messing about with TCP optimizer last week, set it to optimal and correct download speed, rebooted, run a speedtest.net, seemed a little faster, perhaps psychological. Thought no more of it, left it with "optimized" settings.

Then last night I put my cyberghost vpn on, so I can puruse the quality warez online. Load up firefox, and its dead, google wont load, really reallly slow, a couple of websites just about loaded. So I think, something wrong here, I check the network settings on firefox, everything on auto as usual. So I tried Microsoft Edge, everything fine, New IP from cyberghost server, everything loading quick, speedtest.net fine.

This is strange I think, so I do a firefox refresh; no mean feat with the amount of addons I use. Same thing. So then I think, this is eating into my Heroes of the Storm time, grrrr. So I google around try various firefox "fixes" nothing works, so with regret I opt for a complete fresh fireofx install. Again not working. I start to get angry. WTH can it be. I remember, mmmm last week I installed TCP optimizer, so I load it up again, set it back to default windows settings, reboot and the feeling of joy as my firefox worked with ghost again was great; the fear of having to use Edge to browse the quality online warez, with no addblock etc was not pleasant.
So all fixed, but it has left me wondering, what in TCP optimizer could of caused this?

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Just a puzzle, so I was messing about with TCP optimizer last week, set it to optimal and correct download speed, rebooted, run a speedtest.net, seemed a little faster, perhaps psychological. Thought no more of it, left it with "optimized" settings.

Then last night I put my cyberghost vpn on, so I can puruse the quality warez online. Load up firefox, and its dead, google wont load, really reallly slow, a couple of websites just about loaded. So I think, something wrong here, I check the network settings on firefox, everything on auto as usual. So I tried Microsoft Edge, everything fine, New IP from cyberghost server, everything loading quick, speedtest.net fine.

This is strange I think, so I do a firefox refresh; no mean feat with the amount of addons I use. Same thing. So then I think, this is eating into my Heroes of the Storm time, grrrr. So I google around try various firefox "fixes" nothing works, so with regret I opt for a complete fresh fireofx install. Again not working. I start to get angry. WTH can it be. I remember, mmmm last week I installed TCP optimizer, so I load it up again, set it back to default windows settings, reboot and the feeling of joy as my firefox worked with ghost again was great; the fear of having to use Edge to browse the quality online warez, with no addblock etc was not pleasant.
So all fixed, but it has left me wondering, what in TCP optimizer could of caused this?

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Anytime you use third party utilities to second guess the OS, these are the kind of issues you may run into (or not, depending on your luck at that time).

Tweaking OS settings is best left to the experienced that are usually solving a specific issue. Not to programs that were developed on past assumptions and long forgotten OSes.

What OS are you running? I think TCP Optimizer was developed over 15 years ago with very little changes since then (back when Windows 2000 and Windows XP ruled the PC world). ;)

Anytime you use third party utilities to second guess the OS, these are the kind of issues you may run into (or not, depending on your luck at that time).

Tweaking OS settings is best left to the experienced that are usually solving a specific issue. Not to programs that were developed on past assumptions and long forgotten OSes.

What OS are you running? I think TCP Optimizer was developed over 15 years ago with very little changes since then (back when Windows 2000 and Windows XP ruled the PC world). ;)

mmm 2000 what an OS that was. You probably have a point, it is a little old now :) I was bored and trying to max everything having had a modem replacement. It was Windows 10 64bit.

One of my greatest pleasures is to break windows then fix it :)

mmm 2000 what an OS that was. You probably have a point, it is a little old now :) I was bored and trying to max everything having had a modem replacement. It was Windows 10 64bit.

One of my greatest pleasures is to break windows then fix it :)

A true hacker. :)

Unless you are on some uncommon connection, like satellite or 56k, TCP is already optimized.

You can do some minimal optimization, depending on your type of usage, but it is far from easy. Currently, I am reading a 1500 page book on the subject of congestion control (which mostly focuses on TCP), and that is only one aspect of TCP. The principle of Diminishing Returns applies here.

A major sin of computing is Premature Optimization. Do not solve problems until you have the knowledge to know that there is actually a fixable problem.

The strange thing was that edge was completely fine, but firefox, dead as a door post with the "optimal" settings on. Curiosity is just leading me to wonder which particular settings killed firefox. Short of going through every setting in turn to find out I guess I will never know, as I certainly don't have quite the patience to try that.

TCP optimizations, unless they are very wrong, should barely affect anything.

I would look for other things to blame.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!