What's new

<testers needed> [TUTORIAL] Minidlna through debian-entware-mipsel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How this works for you

• Working fine on my router

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • Not working on my router

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Not yet installed

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
I had a brief test of this on a small partition of a mostly NTFS drive. It didn't complete the scan which may of been a space issue, but the video resume worked well on my non smart E series. I didn't see any thumbnails, but I've never seen any on USB media play either.

Could this be shutdown gracefully to remove the disc?

I saw a lot of 'something -1's in the log whilst unmounting.

Hey, guys, How can I add few different directories to be scanned by minidlna ??

Would it be that easy ?. I saw that there is a EXT_DIR in S99debian that points to my directory and in minidlna.conf is /mnt. So which one is actually used ??

Why not just put symbolic links to your various media directories inside your EXT_DIR directory?

That is, if EXT_DIR = /mnt/Drive/ and you want to include media in /media/place1 and /media/place2, just run "ln -s /media/place1 /media/place2 /mnt/Drive/"

Last edited:
Tried to link other media directory with ln -s but minidlna doesn't take that link under consideration and omits it. I can browse that folder with samba and using putty though.

Also adding other directory in minidlna.conf doesn't work because I guess it's not mounted to ../debian/mnt.

So question is, how to mount other media directory to ../debian/mnt/ like it is done with EXT_DIR in S99debian ?

Edit
Got it working by creating two dirs in ../debian/mnt/ named DIR1 and DIR2. Then I modified the script (S99debian)and now EXT_DIR is mounted to DIR1 and EXT_DIR2 to DIR2. I guess It's not the best solution but hey, I have no idea about linux :D

Last edited:
v1.1.2 soon :)

6f8nlh.png

Minidlna v1.1.3 ready with the following changelog:

1.1.3 - Released 05-June-2014
--------------------------------
- Enhance log level settings.
- Fix Samsung browsing when root_container is set.
- Add Clang compiling support.
- Fix compiling on systems without iconv.
- Add merge_media_dirs option, to revert to the old behavior.
- Add Asus O!Play client support.
- Fix Broken SSDP multicast membership addition.
- Fix crash bug with an emtpy filter argument.
- Accept SMI subtitles in addition to SRT.
- Add BubbleUPnP detection and enable subtitle support.
- Allow the user to specify an arbitrary root container.
- Add libavcodec > 54 / libav 10 compatibility.
- Get embedded cover art from video files with recent libavformat versions.
- Disable Samsung DCM10 capability, as it breaks compatibility with new models.
- Add subtitle support for NetFront™ Living Connect middleware-based clients.
1. Stop minidlna
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S99debian stop
2. Enter chrooted debian
Code:
mount -o bind /dev/ /mnt/[COLOR="Red"]sda1[/COLOR]/debian/dev/
mount -o bind /proc/ /mnt/[COLOR="red"]sda1[/COLOR]/debian/proc/
mount -o bind /sys/ /mnt/[COLOR="red"]sda1[/COLOR]/debian/sys/
chroot /mnt/[COLOR="red"]sda1[/COLOR]/debian /bin/bash
3. Copy paste this commands:
Code:
dpkg -r minidlna
rm -r /opt/minidlna
cd /var/tmp
wget http://goo.gl/4KKtTG
dpkg -i minidlna_1.1.3-2_mipsel.deb
wget http://goo.gl/sSRlZ3
cp -r minidlna.conf /etc
chmod 777 /etc/minidlna.conf
4. Exit debian
Code:
exit
5. Start minidlna
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S99debian start
6. Enjoy your media :)

Last edited:
[...]
Let's start

[...] Setup entware from this guide

Hi TeHashX!
I have a 1tb usb disk (ext3 formatted) attached to my RT-N16, where I setup optware (by installing/uninstalling transmission from the router's web gui).

Since I run from there a webserver (which I don't want to uninstall for the time being), here's my question (hope it makes any sense, since I don't have much knowledge about linux environment):

if I create on that very same usb disk a brand new partition (say ext2 or ext3 formatted), will I be able to safely setup there entware so both environments (i.e., optware and entware) could share without issues the same physical device although in separate partitions? If this is possible, I'd like to try out your present how-to and setup a chrooted debian plus minidlna...

In case it's not possible, what about attaching to the router's 2d usb port another disk and setup there entware?

Thanks in advance
Joao

Last edited:
This should run on optware too, I just have to figure out how to make the mount and startup script.

Hi TeHashX!
I have a 1tb usb disk (ext3 formatted) attached to my RT-N16, where I setup optware (by installing/uninstalling transmission from the router's web gui).

Since I run from there a webserver (which I don't want to uninstall for the time being), here's my question (hope it makes any sense, since I don't have much knowledge about linux environment):

if I create on that very same usb disk a brand new partition (say ext2 or ext3 formatted), will I be able to safely setup there entware so both environments (i.e., optware and entware) could share without issues the same physical device although in separate partitions? If this is possible, I'd like to try out your present how-to and setup a chrooted debian plus minidlna...

In case it's not possible, what about attaching to the router's 2d usb port another disk and setup there entware?

Thanks in advance
Joao

I have a RT-N16 running Tomato Shibby with optware.

I was able to get it working fine without entware. I have pyload and transmission running on optware and just didn't want to re-configure.

This is my setup:
/tmp/mnt/Seagate/Programs/opt
/tmp/mnt/Seagate/Programs/debian

Will see if I run into any problems running this week.

Can't run both on the same time, why do you need optware? Entware is more up to date.

Hi,TeHashX
Thank you for your answer! I'll give a try to your chrooted debian+mindlna setup when I get a spare moment to replace optware for entware.

P.-S.:
The reason I am still «attached» to optware is due to the fact that I hadn't yet the time to learn linux decently; so, usually, I try try to adapt to RT-N16 almost literally the how-tos found at the Nslu2-Linux website. You find there at the huge «How-to» section lots of solutions and specific knowledge concerning this Cisco famous gadget, but which nonetheless can be somehow adapted (at least in part) to other gadgets belonging to the same «hardware league» including the software apps (optware).

I have a RT-N16 running Tomato Shibby with optware.

I was able to get it working fine without entware. I have pyload and transmission running on optware and just didn't want to re-configure.

Hi!
I never tried Tomato fw - are you happy whith it? Is it stable? I use Merlin's fw and like it for it's stability (and for the scripting capabilites with jffs), but I'd like try out Open VPN (which isn't available on RT-N16); which Tomato's version do you recommend?

This is my setup:
/tmp/mnt/Seagate/Programs/opt
/tmp/mnt/Seagate/Programs/debian

Will see if I run into any problems running this week.

It looks interesting..!
So, if I got you right, you're saying that you managed to «accomodate» those 2 apps running on an optware environment while at the same time you have a chrooted debian available on a entware environment (on /tmp/mnt/Seagate/Programs/debian) -- right or wrong?

Thanks for your feedback!
Joao

Hi TeHashX!

Thanks in advance
Joao

Optware version on the way... :)

Hi,TeHashX
Thank you for your answer! I'll give a try to your chrooted debian+mindlna setup when I get a spare moment to replace optware for entware.

P.-S.:
The reason I am still «attached» to optware is due to the fact that I hadn't yet the time to learn linux decently; so, usually, I try try to adapt to RT-N16 almost literally the how-tos found at the Nslu2-Linux website. You find there at the huge «How-to» section lots of solutions and specific knowledge concerning this Cisco famous gadget, but which nonetheless can be somehow adapted (at least in part) to other gadgets belonging to the same «hardware league» including the software apps (optware).

Here you go, optware version http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=110071#post110071

I installed the debian DLNA server but it's not running for me at the moment. I've been looking where the fault is but I haven't found it yet.

This is the log minidlna.log file contents:

Code:
[2014/03/12 13:09:06] minidlna.c:1029: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.1.2.
[2014/03/12 13:09:06] minidlna.c:354: warn: Creating new database at /opt/minidlna/files.db
[2014/03/12 13:09:06] minidlna.c:1068: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
[2014/03/12 13:09:06] playlist.c:125: warn: Parsing playlists...
[2014/03/12 13:09:06] playlist.c:256: warn: Finished parsing playlists.
[2014/03/12 13:09:07] sql.c:117: warn: sql_get_int_field: step failed: SQL logic error or missing database
SELECT count(*) from OBJECTS where PARENT_ID = '0'
[2014/03/12 13:20:35] minidlna.c:153: warn: received signal 15, good-bye
[2014/03/12 14:22:51] minidlna.c:1029: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.1.2.
[2014/03/12 14:22:52] minidlna.c:1068: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
[2014/03/12 14:25:41] upnphttp.c:1043: warn: HTTP Connection closed unexpectedly
[2014/03/12 14:29:09] minidlna.c:153: warn: received signal 15, good-bye
[2014/03/12 14:31:11] minidlna.c:1029: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.1.2.
[2014/03/12 14:31:11] minidlna.c:1068: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200

I have to go out, but when I return home I will try to troubleshoot this further.

I installed the debian DLNA server but it's not running for me at the moment. I've been looking where the fault is but I haven't found it yet.

This is the log minidlna.log file contents:

Code:
[2014/03/12 13:09:06] minidlna.c:1029: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.1.2.
[2014/03/12 13:09:06] minidlna.c:354: warn: Creating new database at /opt/minidlna/files.db
[2014/03/12 13:09:06] minidlna.c:1068: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
[2014/03/12 13:09:06] playlist.c:125: warn: Parsing playlists...
[2014/03/12 13:09:06] playlist.c:256: warn: Finished parsing playlists.
[2014/03/12 13:09:07] sql.c:117: warn: sql_get_int_field: step failed: SQL logic error or missing database
SELECT count(*) from OBJECTS where PARENT_ID = '0'
[2014/03/12 13:20:35] minidlna.c:153: warn: received signal 15, good-bye
[2014/03/12 14:22:51] minidlna.c:1029: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.1.2.
[2014/03/12 14:22:52] minidlna.c:1068: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
[2014/03/12 14:25:41] upnphttp.c:1043: warn: HTTP Connection closed unexpectedly
[2014/03/12 14:29:09] minidlna.c:153: warn: received signal 15, good-bye
[2014/03/12 14:31:11] minidlna.c:1029: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.1.2.
[2014/03/12 14:31:11] minidlna.c:1068: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200

I have to go out, but when I return home I will try to troubleshoot this further.

You didn't setup media folder path, read again point 5.

I've set the ext_dir to /mnt/MyBook/Music

I only want to play music on my server.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!