What's new

The Future of router SOCs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

salamoon

New Around Here
hi guys

i wanted to know what socs the are for the new AC routers were so i could make a good decisions on which one would work with 3rd party firmware so basically i was looking at broadcom for use with tomato

and i got worried a bit after this discovery
Click this

i always knew the future of routers were ARM based but all 3rd party firmwares support mips not arm except openwrt which is not that good

how long do you guys think the transition period be ?

Last edited:
Issues are will the rest of the market (manufacturers) adopt this format. Cost effectiveness would have to be considered too. More like a gamble. That's why 5GHz wasn't showing up in a lot of WiFi products other than home routers.

Everything is still 2.4GHz. Very slowly that 5GHz and now 802.11ac. The market will have to go full circle and get on board. Will current WiFi consumers on 2.4GHz network drop it for these new routers? Cost and the benefits to do so?

We already know what gain in benefits would bring. How stable will these new devices be? As we already know how 802.11g and 802.11n are. How's 802.11ac HT high throughput and VT very high throughput.

Give all this by 2013 to 2015 so the market can play catch-up.

hi guys
i always knew the future of routers were ARM based but all 3rd party firmwares support mips not arm except openwrt which is not that good

What's wrong with openwrt?

I hope everyone goes ARM since even though these are supposed to be routers, many people(including myself) are not using them just to route but to have a whole bunch of functionality. 300MHz Broadcom chips will not cut it.

What's wrong with openwrt?

I hope everyone goes ARM since even though these are supposed to be routers, many people(including myself) are not using them just to route but to have a whole bunch of functionality. 300MHz Broadcom chips will not cut it.

the problem isnt really with openwrt
its the arm devices that run wrt
most of the arm hardware are originally small USB NASes
not alot of work was put in it

im just worried that 3rd party firmwares will stick to MIPS hardware for a long time then slowly will move to ARM

i guess we will be stuck with openwrt - i will miss tomato :p