What's new

The most budget NAS .. here it is

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Turgut Kalfaoglu

Regular Contributor
Get an Orange PI 3 LTS.. it comes with 2 USB 3.0 ports -- which you can add a USB (powered) hub too if you'd like.
I have that Orange PI and it's sharing two drives.. Total cost? about $50 for the Orange PI plus the drives.
I have Ubuntu on it, so it's doing SMB, NFS and Rsync daemon.. Very happy with its price, speed and convenience.

I'm running something similar but with Raspberry Pi 4 and a case from geekworm with passive cooling on all the chips. NVMe drive with usb c to usb 3 cable. Good speeds.

Shame that the NIC and usb share speeds.

Though i'm running raspbian os on it. The light version.

Get an Orange PI 3 LTS.. it comes with 2 USB 3.0 ports

It comes with single USB 3.0 port according to the manufacturer:

1686170280237.png

Get an Orange PI 3 LTS.. it comes with 2 USB 3.0 ports

You get what you pay for with OrangePI's - just saying - as a hobby/dev board, they're ok, but there are much better solutions out there.

Hopefully you're not running their SD card image - there's a few security concerns there.

Armbian does have images, and they're "safe"... I'll be up front, I'm part of that community.

That being said - doing a NAS on a community board - can be done - I've posted howto's here on SNB forum that setup and securely setup a singleboard machine for data services, web, vpn, etc...

Going with the mainline NAS providers - for most, this is a better path - they're optimized for that task, and more importantly, they have customer support.

The 64-bit images on RPi4 are fine..

Yeah they are :)

The only thing im actually missing on the rpi 4 is WiFi 6, or atleast higher WiFi speeds than 100mbit.

The rest is very doable and solid.

I'm running something similar but with Raspberry Pi 4 and a case from geekworm with passive cooling on all the chips. NVMe drive with usb c to usb 3 cable. Good speeds.

Shame that the NIC and usb share speeds.

Though i'm running raspbian os on it. The light version.
Mine is similar -- I added passive radiator on the chips too, to cool them a bit better.. it's rock solid for months so far.