What's new

The new Netgear FVS336Gv3 (FVS336G-300) - Feedback on this pls

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vpnman

New Around Here
Netgear recently released the FVS336Gv3 (FVS336G-300) last Oct. It's an update to the FVS336Gv2. I'm soliciting for user experience on this particular unit (the v3 version pls, not v2 or v1) especially when compared to Cisco RV320/RV325.

Hi vpnman. Sorry, no direct experience with the -300, only general commentary... Specs appear on-par with the RV320/325. You might also want to consider a ZyXel USG40, which also includes some UTM options that the others don't, or for around $100 more, a ZyWall 110, which *should* smoke the Netgear/Cisco smb stuff in VPN throughput. Other options might be a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter or Mikrotik's entry-level CCR model.

Last edited:
Hi Trip, I'm looking for feedback beyond specs such as reliability (no hanging), if feature works as advertised, user experience/satisfaction, bugs or any major security issues.

One of the things I didnt like about RV320/RV325 is port 80 is always open when port scanned from WAN side even though all ports are configured to be shut in router management. The RV042 was like that but that was 2007/2008 generation but these days, it's not acceptable anymore.

I've looked at the ZyWall 110 but eliminated it because it has a fan. I've looked at the Zyxel USG40 but I'm trying to avoid the UTM route. Such devices will have more complicated firmware due to more features (that I dont plan on using) which can mean more bugs.

By chance, do you know when a USG40 is configured to shut all ports on WAN side, a port scan will reveal nothing open (especially port 80)?

Hi again. Understood, especially wanting to avoid the UTM appliances if the need isn't pressing. On the USG40, I'll have to test one of my USG20s and see (the firmware is nearly identical). You might also want to consider the USG40HE model, just recently announced for about $100 less than the regular USG40, although I'm not exactly sure what you're giving up with the "HE" model, as the specs aren't too clear yet.

Hi Trip, I'm looking for feedback beyond specs such as reliability (no hanging), if feature works as advertised, user experience/satisfaction, bugs or any major security issues.

One of the things I didnt like about RV320/RV325 is port 80 is always open when port scanned from WAN side even though all ports are configured to be shut in router management. The RV042 was like that but that was 2007/2008 generation but these days, it's not acceptable anymore.

I've looked at the ZyWall 110 but eliminated it because it has a fan. I've looked at the Zyxel USG40 but I'm trying to avoid the UTM route. Such devices will have more complicated firmware due to more features (that I dont plan on using) which can mean more bugs.

By chance, do you know when a USG40 is configured to shut all ports on WAN side, a port scan will reveal nothing open (especially port 80)?

Why exactly is fan a problem? For high performance it is worth it and if it is noisy simply replace with a compatible silent fan.

Why exactly is fan a problem? For high performance it is worth it and if it is noisy simply replace with a compatible silent fan.
Funny enough, I'm doing just that with a used USG20, who's fan bearing I think is just too beat up to stay silent any more. So I ordered a Noctua NF-A4x10 and will be installing next week... will be interesting to see the results. :)

Didn't mean to derail you're thread, vpn. I'll reach to some of my IT buddies and see if they've had any exposure/experience with the -300 yet.

Hi SEM, regarding the fan. These units will run 24x7 and the fan (being a mechanical part) is the weakest link inside the ZyWall 110 or any other firewall/router system. The RV32x/FVS336Gv3/LRT224 are fanless and have lifetime HW warranty but the ZyWall 110 does not have lifetime HW warranty (if I recall, it's either 1 or 2 yrs).

I do want to say the Zywall 110 is a very nice product but my requirements does not need the extra performance of Zywall 110 and the performance of RV32x/FVS336Gv3/etc meets the requirement.

it is because of the 24/7 requirement that they have a fan just so that it wont overheat when used at 100% the whole time. Passively cooled systems can have this problem if they arent placed in a well cooled rack/area. The question really is, how many watts can you dissipate if you passively cool it? Eventually the heat tends to build up to a point and if it is used in an air enclosed place it will over heat.

Netgear recently released the FVS336Gv3 (FVS336G-300) last Oct. It's an update to the FVS336Gv2. I'm soliciting for user experience on this particular unit (the v3 version pls, not v2 or v1) especially when compared to Cisco RV320/RV325.
If you're looking for uptime, I've used the cisco rv-series on v3 firmware on the rv016 and it needed regular rebooting. I've also used the Netgear FVS114 and 124g, and they also needed regular rebooting. I have a Netgear fvs318N and that doesn't need regular rebooting THANK GOD because it takes over 15 minutes for it to be usable again (yes 15 minutes).

Here's what I can tell you, I've seriously looked at the Zyxel usg series for their demeanor as entry level enterprise gear, not smb stuff. The cost is there, and I don't need the utm stuff either, but the reliability and support seems to be second to none in my research.