What's new

Thinking of Replacing flaky Asus RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Briant73

Regular Contributor
My Asus N66U is not powering on anymore, could possibly just be a bad power button and Asus may replace under warranty but just in case I'm asking what would you recommend in case I have to replace it with a new router.

My main requirements are :
1) secure fast wireless with great range
2) Fast wired networking performance
3) Ability to handle multiple clients at once (computers, smart phones, streaming devices, game machines, tablets)
4) Reliable of course with no need to reboot constantly.
5) Budget I like to definitely be under $200.00 dollars.

I like my N66U but the range has suffered since the sdk6 wireless driver and the build quality of a router less than two years old failing has me wondering if I should move on. I'm currently running my old Dlink DIR-655 which still works but lacks some features of today's newer routers (2.4/5ghz band), yet the range seems as good as my Asus with the sdk6 driver.

Given your criteria, I'd suggest the Netgear R7000. Hits every item on your list here, the latest stock firmware for it is doing great. You also have the choice of dd-wrt and tomato firmware is coming along as well. Price-wise it has dropped below $200, good deals are to be had if you look around. Like any router, though, be sure that you buy it from a place where you can return it if it doesn't meet your needs for some reason.

I think that you'll be very happy with it. Great range and performance here with a wide variety of clients, including wireless-AC. But you don't have to use wireless-AC to enjoy the wireless coverage, best coverage and throughput of any router I've had (including the WRT1900AC, which is more expensive). Check out the reviews and router rankings on this site as well.

Last edited:
I'll second the R7000. My RT-66 went "dead" and I bought the Netgear and am very happy.

Since you've already been around the block once with consumer all-in-ones, and as long as you don't need/want AC wifi (which for most purposes is overkill/overpriced for now), then I'd move up a level and piecemeal the setup to a solid wired router + dedicated AP(s). Definitely doable for <$200.

First off, if your DIR-655 still performs well enough at simple routing, then why not turn off wifi, pull the antennas, and delegate it to be your gigE wired router? Then invest the savings into an AP (or AP mesh system), such from EnGenius, Ubiquiti, etc. If you want everything new, then on the wired side, how about a Netgear WNR3500L for $50 running Tomato? I've had rebootless performance on many of those now for years now. Or if you don't want to mess with open-source firmware and are technical enough, an edge router lite or mikrotik RB750GL will smoke the pants off anything else in the price range.

Since you've already been around the block once with consumer all-in-ones, and as long as you don't need/want AC wifi (which for most purposes is overkill/overpriced for now), then I'd move up a level and piecemeal the setup to a solid wired router + dedicated AP(s). Definitely doable for <$200.

First off, if your DIR-655 still performs well enough at simple routing, then why not turn off wifi, pull the antennas, and delegate it to be your gigE wired router? Then invest the savings into an AP (or AP mesh system), such from EnGenius, Ubiquiti, etc. If you want everything new, then on the wired side, how about a Netgear WNR3500L for $50 running Tomato? I've had rebootless performance on many of those now for years now. Or if you don't want to mess with open-source firmware and are technical enough, an edge router lite or mikrotik RB750GL will smoke the pants off anything else in the price range.

First thing I'm doing is seeing if Asus will fix or replace this router under Warranty but then failing that I may go for a a new solution. Do you have any links on the wired router/ap setup? Thanks

The RT-AC56U is often overlooked as a very nice 802.11ac solution. Most people only have 2x2 interfaces in their laptop, and the RT-AC56U can be had for a bit above 100$ nowadays. It won't have the same range and coverage as an RT-AC66 or RT-AC68 however.

First thing I'm doing is seeing if Asus will fix or replace this router under Warranty but then failing that I may go for a a new solution. Do you have any links on the wired router/ap setup? Thanks
Good luck with the RMA. Regarding a setup guide, here's an SNB how-to article and also a youtube video (part 1 | part 2).
The RT-AC56U is often overlooked as a very nice 802.11ac solution. Most people only have 2x2 interfaces in their laptop, and the RT-AC56U can be had for a bit above 100$ nowadays. It won't have the same range and coverage as an RT-AC66 or RT-AC68 however.
Seems the AC56U exhibits mediocre 2.4Ghz performance in a fair percentage of reviews -- not sure if that can be resolved with a 3rd party firmware such as yours or another. I still stand by an actual AP or AP system if one wants to get serious about performance and stability. To each their own, though! :)

Seems the AC56U exhibits mediocre 2.4Ghz performance in a fair percentage of reviews -- not sure if that can be resolved with a 3rd party firmware such as yours or another. I still stand by an actual AP or AP system if one wants to get serious about performance and stability. To each their own, though! :)

This is relative. Mediocre compared to what? If compared to a router that costs twice as much, then yes, it won't be as good. It's only a 2x2 product, so it has to be compared with another N300 class router. But it will easily match other routers in its price range (or below its price range), and it will provide enough coverage for most users. Back when I was using it as my main router, it had no trouble covering my whole apartment.

Thanks for all the responses - Looks like Asus is going to replace under warranty, so I will try that route first. I was thinking of trying all the tricks to keep the power button pressed in I read about in the Asus forum if I was out of warranty but for cost of shipping I will try a replacement.

As for upgrading to a new solution be it an all in one wireless or wired router with APs handling the wireless- coverage and range is a big factor to me so I would want something as good if not better than the N66U.