What's new

Thoughts on the state of Wireless LANs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

XprofQ

New Around Here
Reality Bytes

Most homes have G clients. For many people, it is not cost-effective to upgrade them all to N (especially draft N). So, it is my belief that the mixed mode networks, and the associated performance loss, will be unavoidable for many average homes.

For example, I have an old Dell Optiplex SX270 that is setup as a dedicated wireless G print server for my MFP color laser and MFP photo inkjet printers. G works just fine for the purpose, and I do not need N. The print server and printers are always turned on. Therefore, the G client will always be active, and will even be consuming bandwidth without my intervention (virus updates, windows updates, etc.). It is simply not practical to shut the print server down (or otherwise disable the wireless adapter) for the purpose of optimizing my network for N.

Moreover, what about consumers who are buying those increasingly popular wireless inkjet printers? Wireless printers are almost always G, aren't they? The only way to avoid a G vs N client conflict in a home network would be to either turn the printer off when using your N client or to use the printer's ethernet port and disable its wireless. The first option is not practical because it would require you to walk to the printer and turn it on every time you wanted to print. The second option defeats the purpose of buying a wireless printer altogether. What if there is no ethernet port on the printer? Then it would have to be connected to a wireless print server, and those are usually G. It seems unreasonable to buy a wireless N print server for a wireless G printer.

This line of thought certainly extends beyond just printers, but it was a good example in my home and it is consistent with what I've see in the Sunday ads from Best Buy, Circuit City and the like.

Wireless Setup by Necessity

Some of the network setups that forum members are using are pretty elaborate for the average user. I can't image that your average consumer could figure out how to set up a cable modem, two routers (one as an access point) and possibly a switch, etc. There are an awful lot of wires coiled around all this wireless equipment! :rolleyes:

It should be simpler.

Consumer Solution to Solve the Problem

Why doesn't anyone make a single band wireless router with two radios that broadcast G and N separately at 2.4ghz so that people don't have to use two routers? Wouldn't this make sense given the horrible mixed mode performance results that occur when active G and N clients coexist? Wouldn't most consumers prefer a single router that actually works well with both G and N clients? An out-of-the box solution without a tangle of cables would be nice.

The companies who make routers certainly must be aware of their poor mixed mode performance. So, why haven't they offered the appropriate router to solve the problem? Why push single radio (non-simultaneous) or dual radio (simultaneous) dual band routers when what most people need are dual radio (simultaneous) single band routers?

Inconsistent Offerings

Instead, we are offered dual band routers that operate at 2.4ghz and 5ghz. In theory, one could run G on the 2.4ghz band and N on the 5ghz band, but this doesn't seem like an optimal solution for many reasons.

I don't want to get into a debate about 5hz, but from what I've read, I'm just not sold on 5ghz at this time. Before draft N hit the market, people were concerned mostly about wireless range AND speed. Now all of the sudden we are somehow willing to spend more on 5ghz equipment and sacrifice range for speed in the process. The whole point of a wireless router was to allow us to move laptops around the house and eliminate the need to run ethernet cables everywhere. Granted, we were sharing a broadband connection then, whereas now we are streaming media and using NAS's.

Not everybody needs dual band. I live in the country/suburbs and don't need to abandon 2.4ghz in favor of 5ghz. It's just not that crowded near me. And, when others eventually make the move to 5ghz in the masses, won't I be right where I started again, except with less wireless range (but more bandwidth)?

Ironically, the lack of range may be a blessing for those who are in congested areas. Once everybody jumps on the 5ghz bandwagon, there will probably be less interference because your router won't be detecting other networks that were once in range with 2.4ghz, but are now out of range for 5ghz. For me, I would prefer to maintain range, especially while not many users have crowded the 5ghz band.

Isn't this just the same pattern as with cordless phones?

900mhz => 2.4ghz=>5.8ghz

Those of us ahead of the technology curve keep getting something new to avoid the interference and congestion caused by the masses. Then we upgrade a few years down the road after our neighbors have caught up. Sometimes I'm tempted to set up an old 900mhz cordless phone again just to see what would happen. I bet their would be no interference, even though there once was. Of course my current cordless 5.8ghz phone experiences no interference. But that's because the signal doesn't travel as far!

But I digress....

Wireless Wants

I think many people buy dual band routers because of the following factors:

* Marketing hype and good looks compared to older models;

* They are used to getting the top of the line router, which is not necessarily a bad thing because a top of the line router will often include other features like better QoS, gigabit connection, third antenna, increased range and performance, USB print server or NAS, etc.;

* and, People are trying to future-proof their network, sometimes regardless of cost.

Wireless Needs:

If you want to sell consumers two routers, then stop making them dual band, even if it sounds better, is more flexible and more marketable. It's not flexible in a good way because a consumer who desires 5ghz probably has fundamentally different needs than a consumer who desires 2.4ghz, whether they realize it or not.

Combining the two bands into one router requires that a consumer compromise on one of the two bands. Unless somebody comes along and fixes the problem, this will always be the case in mixed mode environments, which are, unfortunately unavoidable for the average home at this time. Sure, you could just replace every G client's adapter with a new N adapter, but I have to assume that for most homes it would be cheaper to upgrade the router than to upgrade every adapter. And, because N is still draft, it would make more sense to find a router that works well today (and a year from now) than to spend even more money on upgrading adapters that will need to updated again when N is finalized. Good routers are relatively cheap. A half dozen, or more, matching adapters is not.

I think most people would be better off with single band, dual radio routers with three antennas (internal or external), gigabit ports and a USB port or two for printers or USB storage. Offer the router in a 2.4ghz and 5ghz flavor, and make it easy to configure either one as an access point only. Omit the LCD/OLED displays on the routers because the main purpose of a router is to be away from it, not staring right at it.

Make the router chassis stackable, which would probably require internal antennas on at least one of the routers. Make each router flavor look alike, so when they are stacked they looked like a purposeful system instead of a custom rig. Provide a short 3-inch ethernet patch cable so that both units can be connected neatly when stacked without excess cable.

Then, sell a matching dual-bay SATA NAS that has the same form factor as the routers and can be stacked. Put at least one USB port on the front so that a USB flash drive can be added or removed quickly. Don't forget to provide another short patch cable.

Now you have it all: dedicated G, dedicated N in 5ghz, dedicated N in 5ghz and even dedicated A (because if 2.4ghz G and N conflict, then I'd be willing to bet that 5ghz A and N will also conflict) plus all the bells and whistles and even a matching NAS option.

No more "mixed mode woes". ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very thoughtful post. Netgear almost got to part of what you suggest in its WNDR3300. But they locked out the one mode you wanted: simultaneous 2.4GHz draft 11n and 11b/g. They could have locked out 40MHz bandwidth use in that mode to prevent interference problems, but they didn't.

As far as the stackable concept, that's where Linksys used to be. But they have abandoned it in favor of the non-stackable UFO / Stingray design.

The key problem is that there are not enough clear channels in 2.4GHz and there is no solution in sight for this. Perhaps radios will get better and 5 GHz range will improve, but receive sensitivities are pretty amazing right now!

If necessity requires two routers for optimal performance, then a stackable design makes the most sense.

The older, stackable Linksys products certainly weren't pretty (in my opinion), but they were practical. I do like the stingray/UFO design from an aesthetic perspective, but I'm hesitant to buy this form factor because I do not think it's practical. The reality is, the stingray/UFO form factor looks nice in the pictures, in the stores and on the side of the product box, but once you connect the power supply and fill all five ports, you've got a mess again. No matter how pretty you make a router, cable management ruins it.

You're right about the Netgear WNDR3300. I was excited when I first heard it was being released. I've read nothing good about it, and its dual band modes are not ideal. You're review was far from all roses, as were customer reviews on Newegg and Amazon.

I'm considering getting two Linksys WRT600N's. It's overkill, but the combination would do everything imaginable, or so it would seem. The only downside is that the routing performance and QoS seems to be lacking compared to some of the current D-Link offerings.

At this time, the high-end D-Links are really expensive. The DIR-855 is way overpriced compared to its Linksys WRT610N counterpart, and its performance seems terrible. The DIR-655 can be found for $90 delivered (this week), but a Linksys WRT600N's can be had for $100 delivered (if you settle for refurbished). The Linksys brings simultaneous dual band (which I probably don't need) and USB storage to the table, which seems like a different tier of router for little additional cost. A DD-WRT firmware upgrade may even be able to help future performance.

The D-Link DIR-625 seems to have solid routing performance that is better than the Linksys WRT600N, but lacks a bit in wireless range (probably because of the two antenna design, which is why I posted the question about whether a third antenna could be added by modding the case and soldering a new connection to the empty terminal on the DIR-625 and DIR-628. It's relatively inexpensive, but sacrifices gigabit ports, USB storage, dual band and probably range compared to the Linksys WRT600N. It can be purchased for around $65 + tax delivered this week. That's alot to sacrifice compared to the Linksys WRT600N.

The DIR-628 also seemed interesting (non-simultaneous dual band), but you have to give up gigabit ports, USB storage, simultaneous dual band and probably range compared to the Linksys WRT600N. The DIR-628's wireless range is probably equivalent to the DIR-625 based on how it's built, though the path loss graph is not available, so I'm only guessing. So, the Linksys WRT600N will have better range. The DIR-628 is probably a better alternative than the DIR-625 if you are seeking to add dual band, but it would have to be used as an access point only because its routing performance is terrible. It can be purchased for around $75 + tax delivered this week.

So, it looks like the best D-Link combination would be the DIR-655 (router) + DIR-628 (access point) for about $165. D-Link also makes two matching white dual band access points, the DAP-1522 and DAP-1555, but these cost around $110 +tax and $165 + tax delivered, respectively. This would bring the total cost to over $200 easily. When compared to using two WRT600N's, you are sacrificing some flexibility because the D-Link dual band access points are non-simultaneous. You also give up the USB storage option, if that matters.

I was considering Trendnet because they sell an inexpensive single band access point ("upgrader") called the TEW-637AP. They currently have TEW-672GR non-simultaneous dual band router that could be paired with it. This would make for a less expensive setup that would be very similar to what D-Link offers. They have the same downfalls as D-link, and the added downfall of less advances QoS. The Trendnet TEW-672GR doesn't seem to be getting good reviews, and people seem to be waiting for the Trendnet TEW-673GR, which will offer simultaneous dual band.

Are there any products on the horizon that might be suitable?

You seem to be shifting back to dual-band, where I thought you "weren't sold" on 5 GHz.

Back to this point from the initial post, that I missed:
...then I'd be willing to bet that 5ghz A and N will also conflict) plus all the bells and whistles and even a matching NAS option.
All channels in 5 GHz are non-overlapping, where there are only 3 in 2.4GHz. Most draft 11n 5 GHz routers will give you 8 channels. It's not the base "N" that conflicts with legacy standards (a/b/g). It's the "wide channel" (40 MHz bandwidth) mode.

The reason why this is a problem in 2.4GHz is that the 40 MHz B/W mode eats up two of three available channels and does not drop back to 20 MHz bandwidth when legacy WLANs are active. The same thing can happen in 5 GHz. It's just that there are more channels to go around and there are fewer WLANs operating in that band.

I would not make a choice of product based on print server or storage features. Both are usually very limited in functions and the USB storage feature in the Linksys' is very slow (check the 100 Mbps NAS Charts).

I personally would not make the decision on aesthetics either, but that's just me.

There are no dual-radio 2.4Ghz g/N products in the pipeline that I know of. But there will probably be more "N add-on" AP products. Manfs just need to price them realistically.

As I have said before, draft 11n is still a "science experiment". It may take years to get it properly tweaked, even after the standard is released. And then it won't be long before manufs add their own proprietary tweaks a la Super-G, SpeedBooster, etc, etc.

Ya pays your money and ya takes your choice. My advice remains to not spend a lot of money right now for draft 11n and be prepared to try a lot of stuff until you find something that works. I just wish the restocking fees were not as prevalent as they now are.

I figured you would call me on my apparent shift back to 5ghz. I'm just a bargain hunter, and if I can get more than I need for only a few bucks extra, I'm usually game. It's an addiction.

My last router purchase was in early 2005 - the Belkin Pre-N MIMO router. Over the years, my internet connection speed has increased and I've added Packet8 VoIP, more clients, more printers, and NAS. The Sprint AiRave will soon be added. I've also started to get back into P2P apps. Plus, I will soon be creating, uploading and maintaining a website for my business. All will rely upon my wireless router.

I think solid QoS and high simultaneous sessions may be critical to my success as long as the wireless range is close to being equal to my current Belkin Pre-N router (3 antenna MIMO -airgo?). Do you have any insight on where the Belkin Pre-N router stands these days in terms of range? All the old reviews touted its fantastic range, but most reviews were written when G was standard and MIMO was new.

I think/know you're right. Rather than making my router a long term investment (as was the Belkin Pre-N), it seems I'll be making annual purchases to keep with the times. And, I will likely do what you suggested: Try a few different routers out and keep the one that works the best.

With all this in mind the D-Link DIR-655 seems to fit best (as the N router) with a D-Link DIR-625 (as the G access point).

Actually, Airgo's Pre-N stuff stands up pretty well against today's draft 11n. It's a shame that Qualcomm purchased and buried them.
On the other hand, Airgo was losing the standards war against the TGn Sync forces.

The DIR-655 is a decent draft 11n router. As far as 11g, it really doesn't matter since the technology is pretty mature.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!