What's new

Time to build another NAS from old+new parts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The_Tango

Occasional Visitor
Time to build a new NAS using some old & new parts.
My existing NAS is:
Norco 20 bay case
15 2TB drives
LSI SAS 84016E
running MS Server 2000.

The old parts for the new unit is:
MB - ASUS P5W54 WS Pro

New parts for new NAS: Used is fine.
Drives - 12 2TB WD Red (new)Raid Card - 6Gb SAS 16-port with SGPIO Support
CASE - 20 bay SGPIO Support

I looked at X-Case but very poor email replies - suggestions
Was wanting to go with Adaptec over LSI, better raid 6 performance. - Suggestions

Price is a factor - ebay can be your friend.

Last edited:
Motherboard

Well I just go a "INTEL SERVER BOARD S5000PSL w/ 2x QUAD CORE 2.33GHz XEON CPU" motherboard off ebay.

Memory is next - Been looking for Adaptec raid card for a while but can't find one with enough port at a good price. May have to go with port-expander.

Well I just go a "INTEL SERVER BOARD S5000PSL w/ 2x QUAD CORE 2.33GHz XEON CPU" motherboard off ebay.

Memory is next - Been looking for Adaptec raid card for a while but can't find one with enough port at a good price. May have to go with port-expander.

Pretty sure there is with the S5000 MB a connection for a SAS midplane, it is quite sweet, the LSI SAS1068e module. It does though require some wacky fob to allow for Raid, the performance is really good an native to VMWare.

The Intel server using this MB itself is a PITA, with a custom PSU harness that makes it difficult to power additional drives, avoid the chassis.....

I was looking at getting an X-Case but have had little or no replies to email request for additional photos & information on 20-bay unit.

With this lack of response before I buy an item makes me wary of after sale support, so I am looking elsewhere.

Well I gave up trying to find a deal on a 6Gb/20 port.SAS raid card - so I settled on an Adaptec ASR-52445 off eBay.

Got a SesSonic 750w power supply - went new as apposed to used.

A guy a norco is putting together a bundle price on a 4220, SAS cables, 120mm fan bracket, and sata adaptors. Curious to see if there is going to be any real savings.

The hunt goes on.

Well I gave up trying to find a deal on a 6Gb/20 port.SAS raid card - so I settled on an Adaptec ASR-52445 off eBay.

Got a SesSonic 750w power supply - went new as apposed to used.

A guy a norco is putting together a bundle price on a 4220, SAS cables, 120mm fan bracket, and sata adaptors. Curious to see if there is going to be any real savings.

The hunt goes on.

$300 for just the RAID I/O card?

Well I am sending back the intel MB, it was DOA - the seller is going to swap out for another board.

Side note the old 4220 case I have had air intake slots that could be opened or closed - The new 4220 does not have these.

Well I got the replacement MB, works fine but that baby puts out some heat. May back up and use my old Asus P5W64 WS instead.