What's new

To SHR2 or not to SHR2, that is the ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cat Scratch

New Around Here
I've just pulled the trigger on a Synology DS1813+, actually it arrived yesterday and now sitting in the bookcase waiting for the 10 Seagate "VN" model 4Tb drives (two spares) to go in it. My wallet sure feels lighter for some reason.

Anyway, I want to run one volume with two disk redundancy, so, it's RAID6 or SHR2 I guess.

Is there any advantage of one over the other?

It's not like HDDs over 4Tb (5+) are flooding the market at *affordable* prices any time soon, so that negates one of the pluses of SHR2, right?

I've just pulled the trigger on a Synology DS1813+, actually it arrived yesterday and now sitting in the bookcase waiting for the 10 Seagate "VN" model 4Tb drives (two spares) to go in it. My wallet sure feels lighter for some reason.

Anyway, I want to run one volume with two disk redundancy, so, it's RAID6 or SHR2 I guess.

Is there any advantage of one over the other?

It's not like HDDs over 4Tb (5+) are flooding the market at *affordable* prices any time soon, so that negates one of the pluses of SHR2, right?

Congrats on the new purchase, I absolutely love my DS1813 compared to the RAID Systems I've been building for a while.

As for which way to go there are some differences and one VERY BIG difference to keep in mind when you make your decision on which method to go with. If you go with RAID 5 you can migrate to RAID 6 in the future if you desire however if you go with SHR1 you CAN NOT migrate to SHR2 you have to blow the volume away and recreate it as SHR2. Yes I found out the hard way.

I chose SHR over RAID because if / when we decide to upgrade to larger drives you will remove / replace one drive at a time and gain the additional space immediately compared to RAID which would require all of the drives to be replaced before you can realize the additional space.

Also SHR lets you use different size drives (Mix & Match) where RAID will let you do it but you will also be able to make the RAID based on the lowest common drive size.

According to Synology If you use the same sized drives There aren't many differences between SHR and RAID. They only come in to play when you decide to upgrade.

I chose to use two independent volumes in 2 bay drive. NAS backs up one to the other and Time Backup is used for 90 days' versioning in case of human error.

Not RAID, Not SHR/Not JBOD (too risky).

As a follow-up, I went with a SHR2 volume in the end after thinking about "What if...?" I decided to purchase a DX513 (or two) down the road. I don't really know for sure if a Syno RAID6 volume is expandable across two or more devices, so I defaulted to the SHR2.

And just when I'm getting to know DSM 4.3 they drop DSM 5 on us, ugly UI! :(

Don't get stuck on looks. Focus on the stability and the features the new firmware has; if the substance is there; the beauty will shine through. ;)

(XP looks like a crazed cartoon character gone wild at MS to me now, while at the time the OS was the cleanest, prettiest thing I had ever seen :) ).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!