What's new

Tools for custom cabling (Cat6)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zsero

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'd have to do some 600 metres of custom cabling. I have always used super cheap tools for it before and I'd like to buy a tiny bit better things for it now. Can you tell me what kind of
- cables
- clamping tool
- cable ends
- testing tool
would you recommend? Also anything else I missed?

I'd like to go full Cat6 and I'm in UK, can you recommend some good tools/dealers to buy these from?

p.s.: I don't want to buy the best of everything, I'd only need the tools for this one job. Are there any recommended but not very expensive tools do you know?

Not sure exactly what level you are looking at. I use the/a Trendnet crimping/cutting tool along with just "generic" cat6 ends I got off Amazon that work really well. That plus cat5e/6 cabling from Cables2Go. In my experience they make very good cable.

I use my laptop with gigabit port and my TP-link semi-managed switch (SG2216) to do the cable testing/diagnostics. Can I get a gigabit connection, then does my TP-Link switch in cable diagnostics report roughly the correct length and no termination issues.

I can't say I've done 600m of cabling with this setup...but I've done at least 1,200ft/400m as that is roughly how much cable I've gone through between two different houses.

Thanks! It's 600m total, max. 35 meter cables.

So you recommend using a cheap managed switch for actually testing the cables?

Thanks! It's 600m total, max. 35 meter cables.

So you recommend using a cheap managed switch for actually testing the cables?

Depends on what you are testing for.

A pair of basic dumb switches, or device or two with gigabit ports will allow you to test to see if the cable has continuity, otherwise it can't/won't negotiate gigabit speeds.

You can test file transfers bi-directional to ensure there aren't any poor connections (within reason).

Some network adapters have diagnostic tools that come with them (Intel's network adpater drivers) and some/most semi-managed and managed L2/L3 switches often have cable diagnostics too.

Generally the cable diagnostics are mostly going to be of help if for some reason you don't negotiate a gigabit connection...where is the issue (which wire pair). In some cases they can tell you roughly where there is a break. IE, is it an issue with faulty termination that you need to redo, or is it an issue with an actual wire break in the cable. You'd have to look in to what any given semi-managed/managed switch might support for cable diagnostics.

I've yet to have an instance where a cable had a break along the length, and only poor termination which was easy to fix/redo. However...it certainly can help track down an issue a lot faster.

The easiest way to do it, with little troubleshooting help, is just connect a gigabit device on each end and see if it can negotiate a gigabit connection. If it can, no breaks and proper (enough) termination on the ends. It doesn't necessarily guarantee really good termination, or any issues with EMI along the cable run, but generally you are looking at REALLY expensive cable testers that can tell you anything like that. You are better off just running file transfer tests and seeing if the numbers come up good or not (though a really good cable tester is cheaper than a laptop and server, and can save time over setting up tests like that when you are doing a BOAT load of installs).

Nippon labs makes decent cable tester for $50 at newegg. Tools are an investment, you may not use them all the time, just remember to take the batteries out though when done with them. I bought one probably 10 years ago, forget the brand, yellow [no not a fluke], came with one module, I bought 4 more modules so I could do more than one cable at a time and save on leg work. As far as a crimper, a good one is better than a cheap one and the one that does cut and crimp is the cats meow. I don't make my own patch cables anymore, if I run cable it gets punched down on both ends, the office side gets either a wall mount box or recessed into the sheetrock/wall, the working end gets a patch panel, whether it's a surface mount 8 port, rack mount 12, 16, 24 or 48. I need to replace my 6" deep wall mount with a 12 incher now that I put that TP link switch in.

Nippon labs makes decent cable tester for $50 at newegg. Tools are an investment, you may not use them all the time, just remember to take the batteries out though when done with them. I bought one probably 10 years ago, forget the brand, yellow [no not a fluke], came with one module, I bought 4 more modules so I could do more than one cable at a time and save on leg work. As far as a crimper, a good one is better than a cheap one and the one that does cut and crimp is the cats meow. I don't make my own patch cables anymore, if I run cable it gets punched down on both ends, the office side gets either a wall mount box or recessed into the sheetrock/wall, the working end gets a patch panel, whether it's a surface mount 8 port, rack mount 12, 16, 24 or 48. I need to replace my 6" deep wall mount with a 12 incher now that I put that TP link switch in.
The Brand was most probably Test-Um
They were bought out by JDSU
Still have mine after 8+ years and it was a used unit at that!

I bought a kit from Lowes and it has worked well for cabling the last 2 years. It is made by Ideal. I'm no pro though I just repair broken RJ45 jacks.

I bought a kit from Lowes and it has worked well for cabling the last 2 years. It is made by Ideal. I'm no pro though I just repair broken RJ45 jacks.

There is a store in Denville NJ called Lashen electronics, bad place for our types to go, everything from board prototyping, etching, etc as well as all the network goodies, racks, cabinets, patch panels, cable management, tools. All the A/V stuff, in stock, on the floor. Ham radio stuff too.
You can literally spec out a job and go there for everything you need and walk out 10 minutes later with a much lighter wallet. They carry stuff you never knew you needed till you saw it and then wonder how you ever did without it. Hmm, been a while, next saturday I'll do a NJ run, lashens in the morning and a few rippers n beer at Rutts Hutt for lunch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!