What's new

Transferring the cfg file to another model

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pavel.tragan

New Around Here
Hello, good morning,

I have been using the ASUS RT-AX88U router with operating firmware Marlin 386_7_2 for a long time. But it's starting to wear out and I'd like to switch to a new piece before it collapses. The same model, when I looked, is no longer available for purchase. I assume its successor is the RT-AX88U PRO. From the original router, I have made honest backups of both router settings (CFG file) and JFFS backup (file with CRDOWNLOAD extension). Is it possible to upload the CFG configuration file from the RT-AX88U router to the new RT-AX88U PRO router so that I don't have to set everything up again from scratch? I have a bunch of things set up here, both enabling PC connections via MAC addresses, device’s IP addresses, as well as settings for sharing and opening ports, DDNS, child protection, Wifi Mesh, ....... Simply for more than 1 day of work.

Is it necessary for the new and old router to have the same version of Merlin firmware before the transfer or does it not matter?

If this configuration file transfer between old and new router model is not applicable, is there any other way to transfer this setting from the old one to new router?

Thanks for your reply and help

With kind regards

Pavel Tragan

Saved config files are not transferable to a different model. It is a good way to brick your new router.

@pavel.tragan, it is generally recommended one does not import a router.cfg file from one Asus router to another (different) Asus router. If you use the forum search feature you'll find a few discussions where people inquired about doing so. For example this recent discussion:
In that discussion here is what RMerlin indicated:
There are actually differences there in the nvram values based on the hardware platform. Radio intertaces for instance will be different between some models. Restauring configurations from a different model means you will have the wrong network interfaces configured for these wifi radios. The WAN interface is also different, there's one model that uses eth5 instead of eth0.

Do not copy configs between different models, it will cause all sort of issues depending on which model is being copied to which.

The firmware also has different default configuration values defined at compile time based on the model being compiled.
One can copy down or screen shot the settings from their current Asus router GUI and make those changes manually on the new Asus router. It may be somewhat time consuming depending on the changes.

@pavel.tragan, it is generally recommended one does not import a router.cfg file from one Asus router to another (different) Asus router. If you use the forum search feature you'll find a few discussions where people inquired about doing so. For example this recent discussion:
In that discussion here is what RMerlin indicated:

One can copy down or screen shot the settings from their current Asus router GUI and make those changes manually on the new Asus router. It may be somewhat time consuming depending on the changes.
Many thank.

And particularly using an old backup config file from 386.xxx level firmware to 388.xxx level firmware on a 4+ year newer router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!