What's new

Travel router that can access captive portal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

new-frog

New Around Here
Hi all! I searched but could not find a post on this.

I am looking for a router (small travel preferred) to use in hotspot mode (sharing a wifi connection).
The host network that I want to access doesn't have a PW, but does use a captive portal login page.
I want to connect an Internet radio to this network. My radio and all the other ones, support a SSID/PW, but don't have a browser to accept the T&Cs on a login page.
So I thought I'd get a router to get behind the host network, and use it to set up a shared network the radio can connect to with just a SSID/PW.

I've looked at a few travel routers by Netgear, TP-Link and others, but they don't seem to support captive portal logins. Some will host a captive portal, but of course that's not what I need.
Most I've come across will only access the donor network with an SSID, but you can't get the browser to pull up the captive login page.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide detail.
Does anyone know of a router that will support this? I don't think it's rare, since most hotel WiFi seem to use login pages, and people want to share hotel WiFi to a laptop, tablet, Fire stick. etc.

Thanks in advance!

You can almost always do this with any router that supports MAC spoofing (which should be any modern router).

Some routers can also support it more directly by opening a browser when connecting through the router (you may need to disable DNS Rebind Protection and/or DNS TLS). A well-known brand for such support in travel routers is GL.iNET. I believe the GL-AR750S-Ext and GL-B1300 are their most advanced dual band models.

So I thought I'd get a router to get behind the host network, and use it to set up a shared network the radio can connect to with just a SSID/PW.

I used my HooToo Tripmate Nano twice recently for a similar reason. With the Nano you log into the Nano with your phone/tablet and then tell it the wifi network that you would like to join. It will then pass the captive portal information to your phone/tablet which you then use to log into the network. Once the Nano is logged in it will broadcast the network via your chosen SSID/PW to your other devices. I used my Nano to connect multiple devices to the wifi on my flight and on my cruise. Both the flight and the cruise only allowed one device to be connected at a time which in my case was the Nano. HooToo has other models that do the same thing with different feature sets.

On a side note, the Nano doesn't seem to use much power to operate. I had a 4 year old 3000 mAh battery pack that I used to power the Nano on the flight and after the two hour flight the battery pack reported that it was 3/4 full.

GO WHITE!
I used a TP link in the Philippines 5 years ago - the hotel had wifi but also still had cat 5 in the Room which helped I didn't have to deal with the captive portal and used a cheap VPN on my laptop to watch Amazon prime movies....not sure how it worked but it did. Now I'd like to upgrade the router with one mentioned above. But I know the hotels I'm going to overseas don't have cat5 anymore. Do I now have to keep a spoofed ip address on the router or load the vpn login on the router? I've never done it but think I can do it myself. I have played around with openWrt GUIs before.
Any thoughts?

I can't speak for the GL.iNET routers but with the HooToo you will use the vpn on your client device and connect via the HooToo to the wifi in the hotel. The HooToo does not provide any sort of vpn capabilities. And just to be clear, the main benefit of the HooToo is to allow more than one device to connect to a wifi host that only allows one device to be connected. The HooToo becomes that "one" device and then allows you to connect multiple devices to the HooToo for access to the hotel wifi.