What's new

Tried ReadyNas NV+, too noisy. DS210j?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davidetherton

New Around Here
After doing some research, I picked up an NV+. I was very happy with it, except for the noise it produced even with the drives spun down (I don't have a good closet, spare room, or attic to shove my NAS into, so it lives in the office with me).

I don't care too much about read/write performance. I need redundant storage, and Apple Time Machine support. The NAS will be both a backup machine and offer general network storage. If I could host an SVN server on it like I could the NV+, that would be great.

I'm also not crazy about having a device on 24/7 when honestly it's not going to get used all that often, so what would be ideal:

- *Really* quiet when the drives are spun down. The NV+ was rated at 31.5 dB.
- Barring that, I would like the NAS to go into a sleep mode after a period of nonuse, but it would be nice if it would wake up automatically if you tried to use it, without a separate wake-on-LAN step. The NV+ did not have automatic sleep or wake-on-LAN.

The ReadyNAS Ultra 6 was rated at 25dB for noise, and seemed like it would do what I needed, but it was three times as expensive, $900.

From poking around, the Synology DS210j seems to offer a lot of what I'm looking for, and is rated "very low" for noise, and their site says it was something like 20.5dB, even better than the Ultra 6. Unfortunately I can't find old reviews here of the NV+ to compare its noise rating. I've also heard conjecture that the quiet NAS units will likely run hot and fail sooner, is that just FUD?

Originally I was convinced I needed four-bay storage, but now I'm not so sure. Any other products I should be looking at besides the DS210j? Remember, I'm not too worried about performance, but I do want something reliable, and I want something quiet. The DS410j does seem only marginally noisier, 21.7dB, and would give me more expandable storage, although I'm not sure what else.

Thanks,

-Dave

Last edited:
Tranquil T7 is absolutely silent:
http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatalog/HOME_SERVERS.html

I have the barebones version of their 4-bay unit (the BBS2) for my music server and that is pretty damn quiet as well. Not silent, as it has a fan. But the T7 series is silent. Pretty good as long as you dont need multiple bays. If you need that, then you'll want their - also silent - add on unit called the T7-HDx:
http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatalog/T7-HDx.html

If you can stomach the price the Mac Mini Server Edition is also living room silent at just 14db and would give you 1TB of space. You can of course add on fanless HDD or raid HDD units like the Lacie etc via USB or Firewire. I use the Mac Mini as my media player + video storage/server for rest of the machines in the house it is whisper quiet in use.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!