What's new

Truenas or Unraid

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wolfclaw

Regular Contributor
Currently running a Windows Server providing torrent downloads and Plex content and works fine, now starting to think Windows is a unjustified overhead, so here is the plan as I have second box ready for service.

Plex TV Box - Dell T610 12C+HT 32GB 24TB
NIC1/2 2x1Gbps Team 192.168.1.10/255.255.255.0/192.168.1.1 -> WAN
NIC3/4 2x1Gbps Team or 2.5Gbps 10.0.0.10/255.55.255.255 -> Movie Box

Plex Movie/Torrent/VM Box - Dell T620 12C+HT 64GB 24TB
NIC1/2 2x1Gbps Team 192.168.1.11/255.255.255.0/192.168.1.1 -> WAN
NIC3/4 2x1Gbps Team or 2.5Gbps 10.0.0.11/255.55.255.255 -> TV Box

I believe I have to move disks away for raid mode to single disk mode, to allow Truenas/Unraid to control things.
Both boxes will need a share setup for the whole storage pool, as file management will be handled by my local Windows PC, using same account details on both boxes cause issues?
OS on a 120GB SSD or USB, Plex on a 500GB SSD.
Also, if not using raid, can the disks be spun down after say 4 hours of no access, as I expect most access between 6pm-2am and if so, is it a good idea to save electricity or not worth the stress on the drives.
So the big question, Truenas or Unraid.

Why not just run a single box to save on admin stuff?

I ran raid for years and just simplified things to a single U.3 drive that hits 6.5GB/s.

As to the OS options the trend lately seems to be going subscription based when all you need is Linux. I run Plex and qbittorrent from the same box and it's also my router/firewall as well.

Bonding nics is fine but, putting in 2.5/5GE means more throughput.

I vote TrueNAS. I have TN Core up and running for years now and very happy with it. Two 256GB SSD's as mirrored boot pool with 4 2Tb SAS HDD's in zraid1. It is FreeBSD (not that big a jump from Linux) and ZFS. I run Plex and Nextcloud in a jail and it is rock solid. In the world of ZFS, spinning down disks is not recommended - there is numerous of posts on the topic available online.

Also, I do not believe that the router/firewall should be on the same box as your server/NAS though. To me that should always be bare metal as a single device as this is your front facing LAN protection and traffic warden. I run pfSense on a single 1U box which also takes care of Letsencrypt certificates and functions as a reverse proxy for external access to Nextcloud through an FQDN.

Last edited:
Your Windows server has great software RAID. It is very reliable. If you already own Windows server why pay for something else? I would use Windows server.

Hardware RAID is faster but for home or small business you probably won't need it. Use software RAID and a 10 gig NIC. Almost all the NICs are Windows compatible. Build a faster network.

Dell has great hardware support for Windows server.

Last edited:
Your Windows server has great software RAID. It is very reliable. If you already own Windows server why pay for something else? I would use Windows server.

Hardware RAID is faster but for home or small business you probably won't need it. Use software RAID and a 10 gig NIC. Almost all the NICs are Windows compatible. Build a faster network.

completely agree

Just note that unraid is going towards a subscription business model...

Because TrueNAS whilst being free is so much better as a NAS and runs on either FreeBSD (Core) or Linux (Scale) which are both rock solid and are much more reliable than Windows and also uses ZFS as a file system with better error handling and correction features than most other file systems.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!