What's new

RT-N66 Problem connecting Honeywell wifi thermostat RTH6580WF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pdoyle

Regular Contributor
RT-N66R won't allow Honeywell RTH6580WF to connect unless WPA2 security is disabled. Enabling security, connection fails. Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.380_3831 Honeywell Tech Support says '• Please ensure Port 443 and Port 80 must be open in the router configuration.' Fing says these ports are open, but not sure they are open to the stat . To port forward on the GUI, I need to know the IP of the stat; which doesn't exist as not connected.
They also recommend adjusting the router firewall. I also have McAfee Total Security's firewall enabled. McAfee lists both ports as being available for use but I don't understand which program is using them; or are there several.
  • Do I really need open ports just to connect to wifi?
Any ideas? thank you!

Last edited:
RT-N66R won't allow Honeywell RTH6580WF to connect unless WPA2 security is disabled. Enabling security, connection fails. Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.380_3831 Honeywell Tech Support says '• Please ensure Port 443 and Port 80 must be open in the router configuration.' Fing says these ports are open, but not sure they are open to the stat . To port forward on the GUI, I need to know the IP of the stat; which doesn't exist as not connected.
They also recommend adjusting the router firewall. I also have McAfee Total Security's firewall enabled. McAfee lists both ports as being available for use but I don't understand which program is using them; or are there several.
  • Do I really need open ports just to connect to wifi?
Any ideas? thank you!
Actually problem solved. After connecting without wifi security enabled and changing settings through the Honeywell app; I was able to re-connect after enabling the wifi security. There never was a problem with ports or firewall. Resetting stat to new wifi connection was challenging. Maybe operating stat through the internet app somehow enabled connection after security was re-enabled. thanks!

Actually problem solved. After connecting without wifi security enabled and changing settings through the Honeywell app; I was able to re-connect after enabling the wifi security. There never was a problem with ports or firewall. Resetting stat to new wifi connection was challenging. Maybe operating stat through the internet app somehow enabled connection after security was re-enabled. thanks!

I have my Honeywell WiFi thermostat connected to the the guest network run on my ASUS router with no problems. Never had to touch any settings. I am running WPA2. As with all regularly connected devices on my network I did assign a static LAN IP.

The only problem I had was if I connected using my VPN the connection would fail as a result of public IP confusion.

I have my Honeywell WiFi thermostat connected to the the guest network run on my ASUS router with no problems. Never had to touch any settings. I am running WPA2. As with all regularly connected devices on my network I did assign a static LAN IP.

The only problem I had was if I connected using my VPN the connection would fail as a result of public IP confusion.
VPN using Open Book VPN client, but confusing instructions keep me from set-up. Honeywell advises not to use guest network. Working for now with static IP; will bear in mind. Thanks!