What's new

Trying to determine where existing conduit is going in my attic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ppilot

Regular Contributor
Quick overview of my media setup setup:

2nd Floor Media Room/Office - One end of the room is where the cable modem, router (R7000), NAS, HDHR Prime are currently located. At the other end is my TV, WMC HTPC, Fire TV Stick, Xbox One, Receiver, Blu-Ray. I installed cat 6 two summers ago running from one end to the other just to avoid relying on Wireless.

1st Floor - Living Room TV area - TV, Xbox 360 as a WMC Extender, Fire TV Box with Kodi installed. Was connected using a Bridged R7000. Currently testing out a Orbi Router/Satellite combo

So back in 2015 when I was running a short bit of ethernet in my attic for my media room i noticed that somewhat directly above where the downstairs TV area built-in is a run of conduit sticking up out of the wall. I would love to have a hard line running from my upstairs router to that location, but wasn't sure where exactly end point was. Do I just need to do some cross measuring in the attic to determine the approximate location and then maybe use some fish tape to see if the conduit goes all the way to the ground? I am have just answered my question writing this out, but want to make sure if there was an easier way.

Thanks!

Quick overview of my media setup setup:

2nd Floor Media Room/Office - One end of the room is where the cable modem, router (R7000), NAS, HDHR Prime are currently located. At the other end is my TV, WMC HTPC, Fire TV Stick, Xbox One, Receiver, Blu-Ray. I installed cat 6 two summers ago running from one end to the other just to avoid relying on Wireless.

1st Floor - Living Room TV area - TV, Xbox 360 as a WMC Extender, Fire TV Box with Kodi installed. Was connected using a Bridged R7000. Currently testing out a Orbi Router/Satellite combo

So back in 2015 when I was running a short bit of ethernet in my attic for my media room i noticed that somewhat directly above where the downstairs TV area built-in is a run of conduit sticking up out of the wall. I would love to have a hard line running from my upstairs router to that location, but wasn't sure where exactly end point was. Do I just need to do some cross measuring in the attic to determine the approximate location and then maybe use some fish tape to see if the conduit goes all the way to the ground? I am have just answered my question writing this out, but want to make sure if there was an easier way.

Thanks!
DON'T USE A METALLIC FISH TAPE.

It is possible that the conduit leads to a live electrical outlet below and the conduit is there because the electrician wiring the house decided to feed the outlet/circuit coming from a different direction or the conduit was run to provide future service to the attic.

Until you know what is at the other end of the conduit avoid sticking anything metallic down the conduit.

If you want to use a metallic fish tape then turn off the main breaker for your house.

DON'T USE A METALLIC FISH TAPE.

It is possible that the conduit leads to a live electrical outlet below and the conduit is there because the electrician wiring the house decided to feed the outlet/circuit coming from a different direction or the conduit was run to provide future service to the attic.

Until you know what is at the other end of the conduit avoid sticking anything metallic down the conduit.

If you want to use a metallic fish tape then turn off the main breaker for your house.

That is good information to know...so it sounds like a fiberglass fish rod would be just fine.

The quickest thing I've ever seen someone do to find out where a conduit was going was connect the blowing end of a shop vac to it and then find where all the air was blowing out. And it avoids any possible shocks or short circuits.