What's new

TS-509 with 4GB RAM

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dennis Wood

In keeping with our rather exhaustive exploration of NAS performance, we've updated our two TS509 units to 4GB of RAM. A 4GB kit (2 x 2GB SO-DIMM 667 DDR2) did the trick. The RAM is from Kingston, part number KVR667D2S5K2/4G with a cost of about $80 (CAD) for the kit (2 sticks). These are SO-DIMM sticks which are typically used in laptops. To install in the TS509 takes about 2 minutes by removing the case cover, removing the 1 GB S0-DIMM and replacing with the two 2GB SO-DIMMS.

This may be voiding the warranty btw, so go at your own risk. The vast majority of failures in computer hardware occur relatively quickly, so after 30 days the odds are pretty slim of a warranty issue anyway.

More testing to come, but basically a 2.5GB file write to the NAS from a Vista RAID0 workstation ran at 101MB/s. More testing to come, but basically any single files up to about 3.5GB (or a file set under 3.5GB) should write at this speed. The test workstation is now running an Adaptec 3405 PCIe RAID controller card with 4 x 500GB WD drives attached. More tests on that coming too.

Cheers,

As expected, write speeds with a single 2.5GB test file have improved to 78 MB/s (4GB RAM), over the previous benchmark of 42 MB/s (1GB RAM), and read speeds remain similar. This makes sense as the 2.5GB file is fed into the NAS unit's 4GB cache. When re-reading or re-writing a cached file, performance is close to 100 MB/s. Increasing the NAS RAM will do little to improve read performance unless the file being read is already cached at either end.

This is where IOZONE is departing from measured performance...it models a much lower speed than actually measured. I can't find a single benchmarking program that does...they're either considerably over, or considerably under the measured results.

Last edited:
A bit more tuning with the result that using the Vista SP1 workstation with the Adaptec 3405, we're measuring 74MB/s writes and 91MB/s reads from the TS509. This is using our standard 4.8GB file set with a mixed set of files from 1.8GB to 75k or so.

An interesting downside of more RAM in the NAS is that if you write a large file set, and then request (read) a large file set immediately after, the read performance suffers while the previously cached files are written to disk.

Another improvement of note is the rate at which our ffmpeg encoding test over the LAN is sending data. A single 500MB HD file is split into two streams and these are written simultaneously to the NAS. The two streams are being written at a total of 65MB/s and read at 75MB/s.

Nice.

Was not sure for buying the qnap ts509 or synology or readynas pro.
Synlogy is off because the speed.
qnap dont support iscsi but read at the qnap forum that it wil come.
readynas pro to expensive (yet).
so qnap with 4gb ram :D
________
volcano vaporizer classic

Last edited:
Swap File

Great update. Thanks.

I have a question about the swap file. Does the size of the swap file need to be changed since you now have 4x the amount of memory?

Don

Once the RAM is installed, the NAS reports it in the system overview admin page....and that's it! There's nothing to configure on the unit.

Last edited:
@Dennis Wood

Ordered this weekend a qnap-ts509 with the 4gb ram and 5x500gb disks.
One question: did you make the test with load balanced nics?
Or just with one nic?
(i hope my nas is here tomorrow:))
________
R1150RT

Last edited:
How much total memory

Dennis,

I just installed two Kingston 2gb memory SODIMMS. When I go into web admin interface and go to System Logs -> System Information my systems shows Total Memory 3541.7 MB. Is this what yours shows? I assume it's because devices are mapped into this address space.

don

So something must have went wrong with mine, it installed and booted just fine, then I go to see how much ram it is showing and I see:

Total Memory: 3033.7 MB

Also, the speeds (both read and write) are wayyyy slower then they were before. I am getting 14MB/s now, before I was in the 50-70MB/s range.

Any idea?

Current firmware version: 2.0.3 Build 1016T

Don't know about the speed but it sounds like you have a 1gb and a 2gb installed. What is you network connection speed?

Yeah, wow I had a dummy moment, I had the 1GB and 2GB installed.

But then I tried the 4GB and it was still slow, I was copying a 700MB file to the NAS and it was going as slow as 3.14MB/s :(

I put the 1GB back in and its still going at 13-14MB/s.

Network: Connection speed: 1000 Mbps, MTU: 1500 Bytes, LAN1: Down, LAN2: Up

I have no idea what is going on.

Don - what firmware are you running?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running version 2.0.3 build 1016. Your assuming the problem is on the NAS side. Try rebooting your PC and router to see if that helps.

I'm running version 2.0.3 build 1016. Your assuming the problem is on the NAS side. Try rebooting your PC and router to see if that helps.

I was only assuming because I did all that stuff already, I changed the switch out, changed my NIC in my desktop.

All my other stuff on the network is still running at normal gig speeds, its just the NAS that is going so slow.

Well your NAS is connecting at 1gb. Any messages in the log? Did you check System Information under System Logs to see if there are any LAN errrors? Have you tried using LAN 1 instead of LAN 2?

Well your NAS is connecting at 1gb. Any messages in the log? Did you check System Information under System Logs to see if there are any LAN errrors? Have you tried using LAN 1 instead of LAN 2?

I went over all that, in the end I turned load balancing off and then I turned it back on and it shot up to 108 MB/s. Was that a bug? Or am I one of the lucky ones?

Thanks for your help Don, I really appreciate it.

TS 509 with 4GB ram + 100+ MB/s speed + SABnzbd = best NAS ever.

Never mind that, seems the problem is back but resetting load balancing isn't fixing it.

Hmmm

Is there some way that I can reset the TS-509 to factory settings? If I change the firmware if saves everything, how can I start from fresh?

I see the reset on the back of the unit, will that make it factory fresh?

Thanks

Don, yes, 3541GB. That's likely the OS at 16bit limit.

Faa, there was a post in the Qnap forum about the unit being slow after the disks had spun down. The poster had mentioned SAMBA sessions staying open. Check your connection log and see if there's a pile of open SAMBA sessions. We haven't seen that issue here at all, but if you are, definitely contact QNAP. One of our units has been up for about 13 days now...no issues to report.

Also, check your switches error log to see if your LACP ports are reporting ports up and down constantly. We've found that mixing LACP devices on the same switch is a sketchy proposition due to what seems a rather loose adherence to 802.3ad specs from various vendors.

Don, yes, 3541GB. That's likely the OS at 16bit limit.

Faa, there was a post in the Qnap forum about the unit being slow after the disks had spun down. The poster had mentioned SAMBA sessions staying open. Check your connection log and see if there's a pile of open SAMBA sessions. We haven't seen that issue here at all, but if you are, definitely contact QNAP. One of our units has been up for about 13 days now...no issues to report.

Also, check your switches error log to see if your LACP ports are reporting ports up and down constantly. We've found that mixing LACP devices on the same switch is a sketchy proposition due to what seems a rather loose adherence to 802.3ad specs from various vendors.

Dennis, I've checked the logs and it always shows 1 SAMBA session for the file copying and 1 HTTP session from the Administration. The switch is fine from what I can tell, I've even put just the NAS and my Desktop on a separate switch to make sure. I sent an email to QNAP, I'm just hoping they don't want it back because of the 4GB of ram and voiding the warranty thing.

The thing that is getting me is that everything was fine until the 4GB and firmware upgrade, that is when my problem started, I was fine for months with my current equipment.

So I just ended up resetting and formatting everything and started from fresh with the 4GB installed.

So far it seems good, I copied 700GB of data back to the NAS and it stayed at 100+ MB/s for all of the time (I did it 10-30GB at a time)

So I will just monitor it now and see how it goes

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!