What's new

TV can't see DNLA server via RT-86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

username0475

Regular Contributor
My Panasonic Viera ST-60 has lost its ability to connect to the DNLA server on my PC to stream movies/photos.
Concurrently, it also lost its ability to play content from the built in Amazon Video/Netflix/Vudu apps.

I noticed this started happening in the last 6 months but only got around to noticing it prevalent on all streaming content.

The Panny is hooked up via ethernet thru a Netgear GS108PEv3 switch back to the RT-86U.
Oddly, my TiVo Bolt box is also on ethernet but plugged directly into the 86U & streams provider content with no problems.
I took the TV off direct link to the switch & hooked it to the 86U but to no avail.

So was wondering if it's a Netgear or an ASUS config issue?

My Panasonic Viera ST-60 has lost its ability to connect to the DNLA server on my PC to stream movies/photos.
Concurrently, it also lost its ability to play content from the built in Amazon Video/Netflix/Vudu apps.

I noticed this started happening in the last 6 months but only got around to noticing it prevalent on all streaming content.

The Panny is hooked up via ethernet thru a Netgear GS108PEv3 switch back to the RT-86U.
Oddly, my TiVo Bolt box is also on ethernet but plugged directly into the 86U & streams provider content with no problems.
I took the TV off direct link to the switch & hooked it to the 86U but to no avail.

Wholesale troubleshooting... try another router, another Ethernet cable directly connected. Can you ping the panny IP address?

My first suspicion is the TV, so how to disprove that?

OE

Let me recap:
Your Panasonic Viera ST-60 has lost its ability to connect to the DNLA server and Amazon Video/Netflix/Vudu apps on the Panasonic Viera ST-60 can no longer play content.​
Step one: Temporarily bypass the Netgear GS108PEv3 and connect Panasonic Viera ST-60 directly to the Asus RT-86U.

I presume the TiVo Bolt box is connected to the Panasonic Viera ST-60 via HDMI? If this is the case then the issue is likely to be caused by the Panasonic Viera ST-60 or the Netgear GS108PEv3. Smart TV companies periodically update their product's firmware. See if your Panasonic Viera ST-60 up to date and when the last update occurred if you can.

Can you draw your network environment?

Can you draw your network environment?

Here's a rudimentary overview of it. No exotic VLAN config on the switch or VPN on router. Plain vanilla.
Comcast modem
> 86U:
>port 1 > Netgear GS108PEv3 Switch (PoE):
>>>>>>>>> SwPoEPort 1 = AP1 > Ring Door Cam
>>>>>>>>> SwPoEPort 2 = AP2 > Ring flood light cams
>>>>>>>>> SwPoEPort 6 = Panasonic ST-60
> port 2 = Office PC
> port 3 = TiVo
> port 4 = Printer

Last edited:
Let me recap:
Your Panasonic Viera ST-60 has lost its ability to connect to the DNLA server and Amazon Video/Netflix/Vudu apps on the Panasonic Viera ST-60 can no longer play content.​
True​

Step one: Temporarily bypass the Netgear GS108PEv3 and connect Panasonic Viera ST-60 directly to the Asus RT-86U.
Performed.
No change in condition.

I presume the TiVo Bolt box is connected to the Panasonic Viera ST-60 via HDMI? If this is the case then the issue is likely to be caused by the Panasonic Viera ST-60 or the Netgear GS108PEv3. Smart TV companies periodically update their product's firmware. See if your Panasonic Viera ST-60 up to date and when the last update occurred if you can.
The TV has a build in firmware checker & also I confirmed on Panny site it is latest firmware.
Netgear switch is also up to date firmware wise.
Switched to Wifi connection on TV to see if I could DNLA, surf, stream & no success here either.
Also, when trying to access any of the build app on the TV - it will drop after a couple of seconds of connecting to the app site.

Question:
1) Multicast Traffic With IGMP Snooping is enabled on the switch - does that have to do anything DNLA , smart app streaming & web browsing via the TV not functioning?

Last edited:
DLNA is pretty generic, the Panasonic media player shouldn't stop seeing the server due to an update being required.

I'd pull the cable and plug it into something else DLNA aware. Windows 10 should see it natively, or use Kodi. Try a different port, try wireless if it's supported. Failing that factory reset the TV.

It's definitely sounds like the TV is at fault considering you bypassed the switch.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

DLNA is pretty generic, the Panasonic media player shouldn't stop seeing the server due to an update being required.

I'd pull the cable and plug it into something else DLNA aware. Windows 10 should see it natively, or use Kodi. Try a different port, try wireless if it's supported. Failing that factory reset the TV.

It's definitely sounds like the TV is at fault considering you bypassed the switch.

I tried using Plex Media Server & the TV couldn't see that either.
Wireless option couldn't locate the DNLA server also.
I'll factory reset the TV - per your suggestion. Not much to lose there besides doing an eye test.

Here's a rudimentary overview of it. No exotic VLAN config on the switch or VPN on router. Plain vanilla.
Comcast modem
> 86U:
>port 1 > Netgear GS108PEv3 Switch (PoE):
>>>>>>>>> SwPoEPort 1 = AP1 > Ring Door Cam
>>>>>>>>> SwPoEPort 2 = AP2 > Ring flood light cams
>>>>>>>>> SwPoEPort 6 = Panasonic ST-60
> port 2 = Office PC
> port 3 = TiVo
> port 4 = Printer

How about disabling DHCP on your switch?

From the previous discussion this doesn't appear to be a DLNA issue as such, but rather that the TV has no valid network connection at all.

That's a good point, the TV should have a network status section that would at least indicate a valid connection. Whether it's functional though ...

Switches don't normally run DHCP.
From the previous discussion this doesn't appear to be a DLNA issue as such, but rather that the TV has no valid network connection at all.
I concur, it appears to be the TV. I would recommend factory resetting the TV and reconfigure.

Switches don't normally run DHCP.

I know what you are talking about. There is a setting option for 'DHCP MODE'. I was talking about 'DHCP MODE'. And then he can manually assign IP addresses to each device.

Last edited:
I concur, it appears to be the TV. I would recommend factory resetting the TV and reconfigure.
Well - no dice. Resetting to factory did nothing to getting the TV to connect to my operational network.

Neither ethernet nor WiFi is working.

Is some setting on my 86U blocking it?

Well - no dice. Resetting to factory did nothing to getting the TV to connect to my operational network.

Neither ethernet nor WiFi is working.

Is some setting on my 86U blocking it?
Well at least you ruled out that as a potential fix. Seeing as you said you had the exact same results when using a switch, it's unlikely to be the router. The TV is just a DLNA client and if another DLNA client can see the server (not sure if you've tested) then there's still something up with the TV.

Outside of the TV being faulty or misconfigured, and assuming another DLNA client can see the server, the only other thing I can think of is the DLNA server configuration itself but I doubt you've restricted client access.

Just an FYI, I have an Asus RT-AC5300 (latest Merlin fw) and a D-Link smart switch and none of the UPnP, multicast nor the IGMP proxy options are enabled (switch and router) and DLNA works for my PS4, Bravia, random Kodi box and all mobile devices (mix of wired and wireless across 3 seperate bands). I'm running MiniDLNA with stock config on a Drobo 5N2.

So pretty much all stock (except for disabling UPnP) no config and working. This is why I suspect the TV and suggest testing with other devices. Kodi on Android if you have to.

Well at least you ruled out that as a potential fix. Seeing as you said you had the exact same results when using a switch, it's unlikely to be the router. The TV is just a DLNA client and if another DLNA client can see the server (not sure if you've tested) then there's still something up with the TV.

Outside of the TV being faulty or misconfigured, and assuming another DLNA client can see the server, the only other thing I can think of is the DLNA server configuration itself but I doubt you've restricted client access.

The only reason I brought up the router settings is because it appears the wifi connection is also not working on the tv .

Mysteriously, this all occurred around the time I switch from an ASUS/TMO 1900 to the 86U this past spring. ^

The only reason I brought up the router settings is because it appears the wifi connection is also not working on the tv .
All the discussion around DLNA appears to be a red herring. If your TV doesn't have a network connection at all, either wired or wireless, that's where you need to look.

Go through the TV's "network setup" procedure. At the end it should tell you whether it was successful or not. There's usually a status screen where you can confirm the TV's IP address, gateway, DNS, etc.

All the discussion around DLNA appears to be a red herring. If your TV doesn't have a network connection at all, either wired or wireless, that's where you need to look.

Go through the TV's "network setup" procedure. At the end it should tell you whether it was successful or not. There's usually a status screen where you can confirm the TV's IP address, gateway, DNS, etc.
Yep - the TV settings comfirms I can connect via ethernet & WiFi to the router (gateway).
IP config information/DNS/gatewy all are displayed.

But actual apps & DNLA itself are failing to actualize that connectivity.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!