What's new

TV with OpenVPN client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ola Malmstrom

Regular Contributor
We need a new TV in our apartment in Spain. I would like to connect it to my OpenVPN server in Sweden. Is there any TV brand that has an OpenVPN client app??

Not that I'm aware of. But I wouldn't expect them to either.

The most obvious (and probably the most common) solution is to use a primary router capable of supporting the OpenVPN client and policy based routing (e.g., Merlin, DD-WRT, Tomato). Policy based routing allows you to be *selective* about which LAN clients do and don't use the VPN (typically based on local IP).

Alternatively, you could establish a LAN based OpenVPN client on some other VPN-cable device that's capable of routing, acting as an alternate gateway for your current network. Now *any* device needing VPN access simply points its default gateway to that LAN device rather than the primary router.

As it happens, I do this very thing for my own home network. I have a DD-WRT router configured w/ its WAN disabled and patched LAN to LAN wrt the primary network. It's connected to NordVPN at the moment, but it could just as well be *any* VPN server of choice, including the server at my other home.

Heck, you could even use a Windows or Linux PC since either can support an OpenVPN client and routing (if configured properly). But it's generally more practical to use a second-hand router, esp. one capable of running either Tomato (my preference) or DD-WRT firmware.

Yup, just Google spyware is installed (along with hidden microphones, hidden cameras, and who knows what else it gives back to them).

Yes. TV/Streaming services are not needed to live. Drop them. They melt your brain with their absurd programming.

(I've never had them in my homes).

TV/Streaming services are not needed to live
You might not want to use them, but we are millions of other humans, including the OP, who want to use them, and they are important parts of our lives. I pay for Youtube Premium because I spend many hours per week watching videos. It's not even just recreational but also educative, I watch a lot of documentaries. I love historical content, and I watch Startalk videos from Dr. Tyson. Nothing absurd there, streaming isn't just tv reality and cats videos.

Recreation and education are important parts of life. YouTube is in large part what kept me sane during confinement.

There are set top boxes based on Android that can support OVPN (and WG for some)...
Nvidia Shield TV is an awesome one. I love mine, has been receiving software updates for years unlike most smart tv that they quickly abandon, or run a dog slow CPU. I suspect it should be possible to install Openvpn on it - I never tried.

Thanks all for your answers! My main purpose is to get rid of the PC we currently use.

You have inducated several possible solutions which I will definitely try.

We need a new TV in our apartment in Spain. I would like to connect it to my OpenVPN server in Sweden. Is there any TV brand that has an OpenVPN client app??
My Sony Bravia (Google TV) A95K shows under the Apps Tools category

20240301_073914.jpg

together with many other commercial VPN provider specific client Apps such as Mullvad, ExpressVPN, Sufshark, Purevpn etc.

Not sure how good either of these are (haven't tried them myself), but VPN Client Pro apparently supports the following profiles:

OpenVPN
SSTP
OpenConnect
WireGuard
SoftEther
ShadowSocks

Well, I live in Spain and my main TV is an Android TV one.
I connect to my VPN supplier through Wireguad app that's available on Google Play Store app included on the TV.
By the way, the brand of my main TV is Philips, I don't know if it is allowed to give any brand here.
If so, my most deep apologies.
Kind regards.

Edit: I didn't see you want OpenVPN client. Well, I've tried OpenVPN Connect app to connect to my own OpenVPN server in another location and it works well.
Just downloaded this app from Google Play Store and configured it. Zero problems. Even it has access to local area network on OpenVPN server location.

Nvidia Shield TV is an awesome one. I love mine, has been receiving software updates for years unlike most smart tv that they quickly abandon, or run a dog slow CPU. I suspect it should be possible to install Openvpn on it - I never tried.

I missed that one - but yes, the Shield would also be a great solution - amazingly, nVidia has been keeping it updated over the years.

I missed that one - but yes, the Shield would also be a great solution - amazingly, nVidia has been keeping it updated over the years.
Might sadly have reached the end of the line at last, with no update for about a year now.

I'm personally hoping to see Nvidia release a new model based on whatever new Tegra SoC they will use for the new Nintendo Switch 2. There are a few modern features missing in the current Tegra chip they use. Hardware AVC1 support might be a plus for the future, for example.

Might sadly have reached the end of the line at last, with no update for about a year now.

I'm personally hoping to see Nvidia release a new model based on whatever new Tegra SoC they will use for the new Nintendo Switch 2. There are a few modern features missing in the current Tegra chip they use. Hardware AVC1 support might be a plus for the future, for example.

Perhaps - when looking at nVidia, the number of Shields sold in a quarter is a rounding error compared to their HPC/AI/Data Center products along with the Gaming GPU's...

I figure as long as the Shield is revenue positive, they'll keep making them - it's almost as though it is someone's pet project over there in Santa Clara - but that's ok, it's massively overpowered even now with the current Tegra+ chip, much like the Apple TV's are for basic video streaming...

Edit: I didn't see you want OpenVPN client. Well, I've tried OpenVPN Connect app to connect to my own OpenVPN server in another location and it works well.
Just downloaded this app from Google Play Store and configured it. Zero problems. Even it has access to local area network on OpenVPN server location.

Thank you Juanantonio! Will try as soon as I can!

but that's ok, it's massively overpowered even now with the current Tegra+ chip, much like the Apple TV's are for basic video streaming...
I was thinking more in terms of codec support, not CPU performance. That old Tegra chip lacks AVC1 support which will become increasingly relevant over the next few years, I think it also lacks Dolby Vision support which is getting increasingly popular.

A few things software side that Google should also look into. Like Youtube for Google TV still lacking HDR support, or Tidal resamspling 96 KHz track to 88 KHz before sending them to my Yamaha AVR.

Thank you all - particularly Juanantonio!! However I will stop trying - it is obviously done on purpose by Google! I asked Google support and got this answer from their help desk:

"We have received an update. I strongly recommend not using VPN. Don't try to change countries with a VPN. Google requires you to enter your real address. Google may lock your account and ask you to provide proof that you live in that location. If you can't provide proof, Google will have to delete your account for violating the terms of service. You lose everything connected to the account. Gmail, drive, photos, games, apps, movies, music and unused balance."

So I will continue with my old VPN solution.

I find it very strange that they have a large number of VPN apps if they don't like that we use them....