What's new

Cannot get VPN to function properly from ASUS router to Apple TV

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pgershon

Regular Contributor
I have NordVPN set-up on my GT-AX6000 router with VPNmgr and VPN Director. I have a single client (in my case set to a Denver IP address). I have VPN Director set to send the VPN address to 3 devices only - an Apple TV, a MacBook Air and a Samsung TV. The VPN seems to work flawlessly on the laptop and the Samsung TV, but it will not operate properly on the Apple TV. I have used three Apple TV apps to test the VPN functionality. (1) MLB - games are blacked out in the NY and LA market despite my using a Denver location; (2) YouTubeTV - the app behavior like it is located in NY, as if no VPN were present; (3) Optimum TV app - the app says it wont work because I am out of my home (which suggests that it is recognizing the VPN). Something is not right at the Apple TV level, but I am not sure what. Some notes:

1) When I turn off the VPN at the ASUS level, Optimum app starts to work again, and MLB stops blacking out the LA market games. This suggests to me that the VPN is doing something to the Apple TV - enough to tell the Optimum app I am not at the IP it is looking for as my home.
2) With the VPN on, the MLB app blacks out NY and LA, but allows me to watch other markets. So it is not a total block - just select markets that dont seem to relate to the VPN's location.
3) The fact that the VPN works with MLB on the Samsung and laptop suggests that MLB has not caught on to and blocked the IP address.
4) I spent an hour or so in a chat session with NordVPN tonight but did not resolve the problem. They had me delete the app on the Apple TV and reinstall it while connected to VPN, and to tell it not to share location. Doing this, the blackout flag was lifted on the game I was trying to watch NYM vs Bos, but when I selected the game the blackout message still came on.
5) NordVPN support wanted me to run a browser on the Apple TV to look for DNS leakage, but there is no way I could find to run a browser on the Apple TV. So I am unsure of what the Apple TV is thinking my public IP or DNS really are. There is no way to trace this (that I know of at least) at the Apple TV level

Anyone have success running NordVPM (or another VPN) through an ASUS router to an Apple TV? Again, my issue is device specific to the Apple TV - and I have 5 of them with the same failures on each one.

(PS: my apologies if this is similar to my other thread, but the probem here is much more specific while teh other thread is more related to configurations at the ASUS level)

I have NordVPN set-up on my GT-AX6000 router with VPNmgr and VPN Director. I have a single client (in my case set to a Denver IP address). I have VPN Director set to send the VPN address to 3 devices only - an Apple TV, a MacBook Air and a Samsung TV. The VPN seems to work flawlessly on the laptop and the Samsung TV, but it will not operate properly on the Apple TV. I have used three Apple TV apps to test the VPN functionality. (1) MLB - games are blacked out in the NY and LA market despite my using a Denver location; (2) YouTubeTV - the app behavior like it is located in NY, as if no VPN were present; (3) Optimum TV app - the app says it wont work because I am out of my home (which suggests that it is recognizing the VPN). Something is not right at the Apple TV level, but I am not sure what. Some notes:

1) When I turn off the VPN at the ASUS level, Optimum app starts to work again, and MLB stops blacking out the LA market games. This suggests to me that the VPN is doing something to the Apple TV - enough to tell the Optimum app I am not at the IP it is looking for as my home.
2) With the VPN on, the MLB app blacks out NY and LA, but allows me to watch other markets. So it is not a total block - just select markets that dont seem to relate to the VPN's location.
3) The fact that the VPN works with MLB on the Samsung and laptop suggests that MLB has not caught on to and blocked the IP address.
4) I spent an hour or so in a chat session with NordVPN tonight but did not resolve the problem. They had me delete the app on the Apple TV and reinstall it while connected to VPN, and to tell it not to share location. Doing this, the blackout flag was lifted on the game I was trying to watch NYM vs Bos, but when I selected the game the blackout message still came on.
5) NordVPN support wanted me to run a browser on the Apple TV to look for DNS leakage, but there is no way I could find to run a browser on the Apple TV. So I am unsure of what the Apple TV is thinking my public IP or DNS really are. There is no way to trace this (that I know of at least) at the Apple TV level

Anyone have success running NordVPM (or another VPN) through an ASUS router to an Apple TV? Again, my issue is device specific to the Apple TV - and I have 5 of them with the same failures on each one.

(PS: my apologies if this is similar to my other thread, but the probem here is much more specific while teh other thread is more related to configurations at the ASUS level)

IP is not the only way they can track you. I'm sure Apple TV knows your location. Apple knows everything.....

Maybe you could try factory resetting one and using a new account with different zip code and everything and never let it connect outside of the VPN....

It worked well today. I think deleting MLB app and turning back on with location services disabled made a big difference