What's new

Two-hop mesh vs Powerline?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LoftyGoals

New Around Here
I'm rewiring a house built in New York in 1930 (brick exterior, wood interior) in which Powerline behaves well, but not great. I'm considering switching to a combination of a wired backhaul and "something else" for one or two hard-to-reach low-priority areas. I'm trying to decide whether the something else should be Powerline (say TP-Link AV2000) or a hop of a Ubiquiti Mesh (i.e. UAP-AC-M).

The question is: would you expect better performance from a pair of AC2000 Powerline adapters or an extra hop of UAP-AC-M?

Here's a more specific version of the question:
  • 2-story house plus backyard and basement.
  • Each floor and the backyard are ~20' x ~100' (i.e. well within the range of a single AP if there is no interference).
  • The 2nd floor is effectively cut in half by a WiFi "wall" consisting of a ceramic tile wall, stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, washing machine, and dryer.
  • Unless someone convinces me otherwise, the installation will have five WiFi regions: FL2Front, FL2Back, FL1 (below F2Front and FL2Back), FL1Yard (behind FL1), and FL0 (below FL1).
  • I can hit FL0, FL1, FL2Front, and maybe FL2Back with a wired backhaul.
  • The two remaining regions (FL2Back, FL1Yard) seldom see anything other that web browsing (i.e. no streaming video or gaming), but even so shouldn't be annoyingly sluggish.
So, more specifically: if you were connecting FL1Yard (via FL1) and FL2Back (via FL2Front) to the backhaul, would you expect pairs of Powerline adapters or pairs of UAP-AC-M to behave less badly?

Last edited:
I need a diagram, including where you propose to install everything.
Even with that, I could not give you a definitive answer. Depends on how new your
power wiring is, what your RF environment is like.

latency, powerline will be better. bandwidth, if you use wifi AC it will be better but that only is if it is a good setup (the right antennas, dual radio APs, etc)

two hops over wifi - each hop halves the bandwidth, and each hop will add some latency...

that being said - wifi's footprint, depending on needs, is likely better than one thinks - one might be able to cover and get better performance on the single hop - this is what the MESH devs think these days...

PowerLine is nice, as it's a scheduled MAC, and there is decent QoS on that link, but real-world perf is much lower than what vendors promise...

I have an AV1200 span, the real world link is 500Mbps (as per their utility) or so, and network perf is around 100-120 Mbps at the application layer...

Nothing beats a hard wired CAT5 ethernet connection at the end of the day...

But HomePlugAV and MOCA can work...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!