What's new

Two Routers or Mesh Extender

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jordontek

New Around Here
Hello,

I currently have a Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Router connected to a Netgear CM600 cable modem.

I have a loss of signal downstairs in my place and I thought that the Nighthawk EX7000 would fit the bill (cuts the signal), however, it doesn't.

I plan on returning that, the EX7000, this weekend.

Originally, I was considering replacing it with the Nighthawk EX8000 Tri-Band Mesh Extender.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074F3M2W8/?tag=snbforums-20

However, considering it's price point... a Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band, either AC5000 or AC5300 router would probably be better off than the Mesh Extender.

https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-AC5300-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-Router/dp/B077V4YD3P/ref=sr_1_7?s=electroni...

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-R8500-100NAS-WiFi-Router-Discontinued/dp/B015PD3HOC/ref=sr_1_2?s=elec...

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC5000-Router-Compatible/dp/B01NA7F6Y9/ref=sr_1_3?s=electro...

The question becomes, why shouldn't I just get a second router which may have more options than a simple extender or wireless access point? The second router, also I can convert to DD-WRT-Kong Mod (or AdvancedTomato), if I felt like it for more security reasons.

I need to be able to use ethernet ports from the new router/extender (as I currently do with the EX7000) for my desktop computer.

Isn't the R8500 router (though it was made earlier and seems to be discontinued on Amazon) superior (or some other router produced after the R8500, like the R7800, which received very high marks here on this website) to the EX8000 extender?

Or should I choose a different router (Netgear or not, Asus is looking pretty spiffy with their own version of WRT) altogether?

Last edited:
Do you have coax downstairs? You could use MoCA to extend your network and connect an access point (or use one with built-in MoCA)

Unfortunately, all of the coax ports downstairs were removed. Where they once were, now have blank plates over them. Only my bedroom has a coax port.

This is why I decided to go with the two device solution, but which devices? That I am not still so sure on.

However, the reviews here for the R7800 seem route the R8500 by a good sized margin.

Last edited:
Do you have any sense of why the EX7000 doesn't work?

If the signal is just really weak downstairs where the computer is it may not help to get a different extender/router since any device is going to need to get a decent wireless signal for backhaul. Normally the solution would be to pick a location that is intermediate but if you need it to connect via Ethernet to your computer that might not be an option.

I know this isn't the question you asked, but would you consider a powerline adapter with a cheap wired access point (or built-in wifi)?

are the coax cables still behind the blank plates ?
If so, just re-terminate them and use MOCA.

are the coax cables still behind the blank plates ?
If so, just re-terminate them and use MOCA.

Nope. I just unscrewed them, to take a look, since it was mentioned. Looks like, the previous tenant or the real estate mgmt company just left a gaping hole here.

Damn, that's weird.

I guess this is why they put a blank plate here. It's unsightly.

Jordontek, if there's no wiring behind the plates, it may not have been completely removed, just out of sight. Still very strange. It's not that difficult to pull a length of Ethernet or coax through the wall from one point to the other, or hire it to a dependable friend or contractor. In my younger days, did it on almost every installation that came along, satellite, cable, DSL/phone, etc; any able-bodied with enough know-how can do the job fairly quickly. Electricians will quickly drain any budget, (like a lawyer in that respect), but you don't have to hire an electrician. Plenty of athletic, dependable smart lads need extra cash for a couple/few hours of work like this on a weekend. Keep an eye on them though, and if they suggest using a hammer, it's time to move to a different lad. Wire-pulling ain't exactly rocket science, about $100 should get it done. Good luck!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!