What's new

Ubiquiti Launches Multi-AP Consumer Wi-Fi System

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Consumers buying things they don't understand how to use or at least getting help with them is baffling to me. Keeping up with the jones', I guess?
More the infusion of higher and higher levels of technology into everyday products.

You're fortunate you understand this particular area. But that's not possible for most consumers. Connectivity has become a must-have and uses technology that is getting more and more complex, impossible for the average person to understand. Hell, I struggle with understanding it well enough to design test strategies to fairly measure it.

If we all had to understand all the technology we use every day before we were allowed to use it, we'd be sitting by candlelight, reading books by an open fire.

Management via app will become more common. More people have smartphones than desktop computers. Might as well take advantage of them. There are advantages and disadvantages. But it's the trend. There are better things to do with router compute resources than run an admin GUI.

i know many households that do not even have any devices that have ethernet at all and all are hand held portable devices , this is imho the way of the future as far as user base goes and ethernet will withdraw to the office type environment apart from to link access points to a gateway and internet connection

Multi AP architectures are the proper answer to solving more reliable Wi-Fi. You know this given the business you're in.

+1

The key is making multi-AP systems "self-driving". Most consumers don't want to have to learn to be a wireless expert

plug and play technology is certainly the way of the future when it comes to the average home and if it works it will make our existence and the existence of web sites like this un needed as it will just all work and after all thats what 99% of the community want , we the geek despise the thought and recoil at the very mention of a holistic approach to what we have seen for years to be a complex and confusing world that only we understand and can manage successfully :eek:

The key is making multi-AP systems "self-driving". Most consumers don't want to have to learn to be a wireless expert. The expertise needs to be built into the system.

Management via app will become more common. More people have smartphones than desktop computers. Might as well take advantage of them. There are advantages and disadvantages. But it's the trend. There are better things to do with router compute resources than run an admin GUI.

Amen...

This is fantastic news! I hope the presence of Ubiquiti in the consumer space will give the other makers motivation to actually produce stable firmware. After having my fare share of Netgear, Asus, and Linksys routers, I switch to a Ubiquiti setup about 3 moths ago. ROCK SOLID. I'm loving it. I'm happy to see them making this push.

I hope the presence of Ubiquiti in the consumer space will give the other makers motivation to actually produce stable firmware.

i dont really see the logic there , if the lack of stability is caused lack of r and d , why would it change , if its caused by bad coding why would it change , it is obvious no one manufacturer cares about any others as its more how they are placed in the market that counts , eg tp link is never going to be asus ,

the logic behind the ubiquiti marketing and this product wont see it compete with normal routers anyway

if manufactures choose to go down this path they may have something to compete against , but the coding quality wont change imho

We don't cater to the residential market (our clients are SMBs only)....but with me being a huge Ubiquiti fan, I'm excited to see this come out.
When I first saw the e-mail from Ubiquiti, at first glance I was hoping it was using a copper method to connect...looking at it I was hoping it was using ethernet over powerline bridging to connect the two repeaters. Versus traditional wireless repeater mode. Tim, I see you mention they aren't doing traditional mesh, but using a 5-oh backhaul? Separate radio just for the remote to central link?

Stonecat: They're not doing mesh at all. Just standard wireless bridge. There is no separate backhaul radio I know of. Also no HomePlug.

Anyone seen any info on when the Dlink DKT-891 will be released? I cant seem to find really anything these press release articles from back in Jan-May time frame, nothing else. They say Q2 release date, thats come and gone.

I personally tried the Luma, but it just isnt meant for the intermediate/advance user. Only advice feature to date on that is static DHCP assignment, except you cannot change the LAN IP at all.

Dixit

D-Link has traditionally been very late delivering products announced at CES. There has been no news on this one.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!