What's new

Ubiquiti UAP-LR (Long Range) Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Razor512

Very Senior Member
Just read the article http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32189-ubiquiti-uap-lr-long-range-reviewed and was wondering about the pricing of the device.

(8MB RAM and Flash ??? )

The PCB components and designs look no different from mid range consumer level routers. What makes that router at $90 worth it over spending the same amount for a dual band n450 or AC based router which can also function as an access point and can be modded with 2 bodge wires and a soldering iron, to handle POE?

The UAP-LR is not a router. It is an N300 access point.

First, it's not a router, it's purely an access point.

It's designed for businesses...to be used in offices where multiple access points are setup. Also note that it's designed to be installed in ceilings, nice 'n neat.

Another big feature is centralized management. Say you deploy 20 of these at a large office space, you can manage them from one interface. Things like this are desirable for business networks.

I haven't gone into depth with the new about to be released 3.0 manager yet, but seamless roaming is supposed to now be supported. Typical other business grade access points are often 200-300 dollars per AP. Ubiquiti is giving us most of those features, for substantially less in price.

We've sold a lot of those units over the past year, and had a very good experience with them.

That is what I mentioned before, many consumer level routers have a similar build quality, better specs, and generally have an AP mode, or support for 3rd party firmware that can make them into an access point.

From a hardware standpoint that accesspoint is not offering much for the money.

(it seems to work well, but it seems that a price of around $40-50 will be more fitting)

It has power inserter/extractor devices (not IEEE PoE but functionally similar). So you don't need AC near the AP.
That helps meet fire codes.

In commercial buildings, you usually MUST run plenum rated cat5/6 cable above the ceiling tiles.

These concepts, and the remote management is why these cost a bit more than consumer, but a LOT less than Cisco/Aruba unmanaged APs.

How does the UniFi AP actually reach 300mb/s in 2.4 Ghz if it doesn't have Gigabit ethernet?
300 Mbps is the maximum LINK rate. Typical max throughput for N300 devices is in the high 80 Mbps range.

That is what I mentioned before, many consumer level routers have a similar build quality, better specs, and generally have an AP mode, or support for 3rd party firmware that can make them into an access point.

From a hardware standpoint that accesspoint is not offering much for the money.

(it seems to work well, but it seems that a price of around $40-50 will be more fitting)

A bit late replying to this, but I believe you are missing the point of the Ubiquiti line. These are aimed at multi unit installations, not single units. The software to manage these units as a whole is a God send for this price point. I have two customers setup with these at their houses, each with four units. It's priceless to have the zero handoff setup and roam seamlessly all over the house.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!