What's new

Ubuntu notebook + Nexus 6p won't talk over RT-AC5300 running 384.5

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ADFHogan

Regular Contributor
Amongst various devices, I have a Nexus 6P and an HP Pavilion dv7 running Ubuntu 17.10 (upgrading it to 18.04 at the moment). The notebook uses a Broadcom BCM4322 abgn wifi adapter. It's an old notebook, but it's good for Kodi :) ... I'm trying to get Yatse to talk to it..

Aaaaanyway, both can connect to my home network (using the "Smart Connect" feature) and access devices on the LAN as well as the internet... except one another...

I can access the web interface for Kodi on the notebook from my wired desktop.
I can control wired Kodi instances from my phone using Yatse.

If I turn on Yatse's debug logging and attempt to connect to the web interface on the notebook
OR
I try to access the notebook's web interface from Chrome

... I get advised that the connection has timed out. I also had housemate test from his notebook to the Kodi notebook and he got a timeout as well.

I checked the router's "Set AP Isolated" setting and confirmed it's off.

Any ideas why the phone and the notebook refuse to talk to one another over WiFi?

Amongst various devices, I have a Nexus 6P and an HP Pavilion dv7 running Ubuntu 17.10 (upgrading it to 18.04 at the moment). The notebook uses a Broadcom BCM4322 abgn wifi adapter. It's an old notebook, but it's good for Kodi :) ... I'm trying to get Yatse to talk to it..

Aaaaanyway, both can connect to my home network (using the "Smart Connect" feature) and access devices on the LAN as well as the internet... except one another...

I can access the web interface for Kodi on the notebook from my wired desktop.
I can control wired Kodi instances from my phone using Yatse.

If I turn on Yatse's debug logging and attempt to connect to the web interface on the notebook
OR
I try to access the notebook's web interface from Chrome

... I get advised that the connection has timed out. I also had housemate test from his notebook to the Kodi notebook and he got a timeout as well.

Any ideas why the phone and the notebook refuse to talk to one another over WiFi?
Try enabling igmp snooping

Maybe toggle it on, apply, then off again?

Try enabling igmp snooping

Wouldn’t that also affect the wired clients? And wouldn’t turning it ON further limit broadcast traffic? A lot of these media sharing services rely on broadcast traffic to discover client applications eg. chromecast

IIRC the Yatse app has a “discover feature” that probably relies on broadcast traffic to find Kodi, otherwise user would have to input the IP:pORT manually.

With older broadcom adapters...

turn off smart connect - with 2.4GHz, turn off turbo-QAM

IGMP snoop/proxy won't matter there...

Wouldn’t that also affect the wired clients? And wouldn’t turning it ON further limit broadcast traffic?

IGMP snooping actually reduces traffic... and it affects both wired and wireless traffic, as it is layer 3...

Maybe toggle it on, apply, then off again?

Wouldn’t that also affect the wired clients? And wouldn’t turning it ON further limit broadcast traffic? A lot of these media sharing services rely on broadcast traffic to discover client applications eg. chromecast

IIRC the Yatse app has a “discover feature” that probably relies on broadcast traffic to find Kodi, otherwise user would have to input the IP:pORT manually.
I use Yatse and Kodi extensively, and it wasn't until I enabled igmp snooping on wireless that it worked reliably

YMMV I'm just reporting what worked for me

IGMP snooping made it work again.. I did wonder though why something that listens for multicast messages would have an effect.

Regarding the autofind feature - Yatse *did* autodetect the Kodi instance (name, IP), it just wouldn't then detect that the instance required a password, nor could it open TCP connection to the Kodi instance.

Regarding Turbo-QAM, wouldn't it not connect at all if the radio encoding method was incompatible?