What's new

Unable to access router from PC (ethernet) but no problem from phone (wi-fi)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ics_v

Occasional Visitor
Hello! The title is quite self explanatory, but I will try to add as much info I can.

Some weeks ago I started to have big upload speed issues via Wi-Fi and after being unable to find the source of the issue I decided today to reset the router to its default settings.

All went good (and WiFi seems now to run smoothly), however I am now unable to access via PC the asus router configuration portal. I tried both via router.asus.com/ and 192.168.50.1. In both cases I receive a "Server not found" problem.
I started troubleshooting all I could, and read all information I could find online, without solving the problem.

Important to mention:
  1. I have no problem in accessing internet on my pc
  2. Despite that, when diagnosing, I receive a "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding"
  3. I do not use any specific DNS, but trying the Google ones does not solve the issue
  4. I flushed the DNS.
  5. when running an ipconfig via cmd the default gateway is 81.233.251.1 but I still cannot access the router via that address

I I am running out of ideas. Can you help me solving this?

Thank you!

when running an ipconfig via cmd the default gateway is 81.233.251.1 but I still cannot access the router via that address
Your PC must be getting a WAn address. What Operation mode is the router in (router, AP, etc.)? I think you need to reset to defaults again.

Your PC must be getting a WAn address. What Operation mode is the router in (router, AP, etc.)? I think you need to reset to defaults again.

Thank you for your answer! I am not sure about that, how can I check this? I am not a big expert of networks, sorry!
I have however already tired to reset to defaults a second time, maybe an hour ago. The issue persists

Then maybe your cables are plugged into the router wrongly.

Then maybe your cables are plugged into the router wrongly.
No, I can exclude this. I have not touched the cables at all between the resets and until this morning (apart from the wifi speed issue) I did not have any issue in accessing the router from the pc

What router is this? Any 2.5gb port swapping between WAN and LAN before/after reset?

It's a RT-AC65P. No, no swapping.
What firmware version are you running?
When you did ipconfig what was the computer's IP address? Generally the router's address will be x.x.x.1 of what ever IP address the computer uses.
Have you tried using IP address: 192.168.1.1

So when you reset the router, what answers did you give to all the setup wizard questions? I’m nearly out of ideas, but it looks like your PC is directly exposed to the internet, so I would start over again and document your steps for us.

What firmware version are you running?
When you did ipconfig what was the computer's IP address? Generally the router's address will be x.x.x.1 of what ever IP address the computer uses.
Have you tried using IP address: 192.168.1.1
I am running the latest firmware: 3.0.0.4.382_52516-gcca929d

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 81.233.251.156
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 81.233.251.1

I have tried accessing the router on 192.168.1.1 but it did not work. It has never been the correct one. From the phone I can see that the IP, under LAN, is 192.168.50.1 (which was the address I used to access the router via PC too).

So when you reset the router, what answers did you give to all the setup wizard questions? I’m nearly out of ideas, but it looks like your PC is directly exposed to the internet, so I would start over again and document your steps for us.
Hm good question, I don't remember. I can try restore once again and letting you know. I am pretty sure I have selected the correct answers but I am happy to try again

From the phone I can see that the IP, under LAN, is 192.168.50.1 (which was the address I used to access the router via PC too).
Is the router’s WAN IP similar to the PC IP? Can you post a screenshot of the router WAN page from the phone?

Is the router’s WAN IP similar to the PC IP? Can you post a screenshot of the router WAN page from the phone?
IMG_1871.jpeg

Nothing unusual there. My last ideas would be to move the PC to a different port just in case the router LAN bridge is messed up, or reflash the firmware in case the router was compromised somewhere (the firmware is a couple years old now).

@ics_v What does it say is the "WAN IP" on the Network Map page under "Internet status:"?

Do you have any other network switches, extenders or repeaters connected to your network?

I had to leave so I am no longer in front of the PC but I’ll answer as soon as I am back later today.
I have a switch connected. I might be expressing myself wrongly (I am quite a newbie when it comes to networks) but to explain it easily: I get internet directly to my flat, and I can decided from which exit I have in every room the signal should reach a router. Since the TV was quite far away, I have a switch that allows the internet to reach both the WiFi router in the room (so a cable from the wall is connected to it) and the tv (another cable from the wall is connected to the tv).
I know that things can stop working without a reason but I don’t have any issue at all with internet at home. I just cannot reach the router from the PC and I have that error message regarding the DNS.
All seems otherwise work fine.

I have a switch connected. I might be expressing myself wrongly (I am quite a newbie when it comes to networks) but to explain it easily: I get internet directly to my flat, and I can decided from which exit I have in every room the signal should reach a router. Since the TV was quite far away, I have a switch that allows the internet to reach both the WiFi router in the room (so a cable from the wall is connected to it) and the tv (another cable from the wall is connected to the tv).
I suspect this is your problem. Please provide a diagram showing how all your devices are wired to each other.

I have a switch connected.
That changes things significantly and is likely the root cause of your problems. You have to explain or draw a diagram of what is connected to what on your network.

Normally you would connect the "Internet" wire (Ethernet) to the WAN port on the back of the router. You would then connect everything else to the router's network ports (four of them) or to the router's WiFi. If you have connected the switch to the internet then connected your PC to that switch, bypassing the router, that would explain why you likely not able to access the router. The router should be the ONLY device connected to the Internet line/cable. You can connect the switch to the router's network port if you need to expand the number of available network ports.

Example:
setup.jpg

20231016105238798_3.jpg

See the User Manual for your RT-AC65P router for more information on how to properly setup the router and connect devices to it:
https://www.asus.com/networking-iot.../rt-ac65p/helpdesk_manual?model2Name=RT-AC65P

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!