What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

High ram usage is nothing to be worried about. Numerous post over time with multiple models regarding that. Nothing to worry about.

What exactly was the sequence of events/messages surrounding the appearance of the error?

i.e. if the message appeared and was immediately followed by message
Code:
 Shutting down unbound...              done.
then I assume it is safe to ignore, but not 100% sure what the code severity means.
Yes it only happens when unbound_manager calls gen_adblock.sh which calls back unbound with a restart option. I was confused at first because I only saw the # before those lines in the script. Should have read back more first.

I've uploaded v2.16

Version=2.16
Github md5=1b7b3571ada99aa2426b2b541465ffd5

ADD: Optional 'stats' directive to 'sgui uninstall' command, to DISABLE 'extended-stats' (ENABLED when GUI TAB installed)

e.g.​
Code:
sgui uninstall stats
CHANGE: Apply pull request - Thanks @dave14305
To ensure the integrity of dnsmasq, use the 'i' command to generate patched script '/addons/unbound/unbound.postconf'

CHANGE: If 'sgui' command has added GUI TAB, display clickable GUI TAB link in the menu
e.g.​
Code:
rs = Restart (or Start) unbound (use 'rs nocache' to flush cache) s  = Show unbound Extended statistics (s=Summary Totals; sa=All; http://192.168.1.1:80/user4.asp)

e  = Exit Script

A:Option ==>
ADD: Optional 'time' directive to 'dig {domain}'

@Martineau, I think this is just a cosmetic bug?

'[: 0: unknown operand' right after the 'Options' list.

Code:
A:Option ==> ?

Version=2.16
        Local                                           md5=1b7b3571ada99aa2426b2b541465ffd5
        Github                                          md5=1b7b3571ada99aa2426b2b541465ffd5
        /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_manager.md5        md5=1b7b3571ada99aa2426b2b541465ffd5

Router Configuration recommended pre-reqs status:

[✔] Swapfile=2097148 kB
        [✔] DNS Filter=ON
        [✔] DNS Filter=ROUTER
        [✔] WAN: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver=NO
        [✔] Entware NTP server is running
        [✔] Enable DNS Rebind protection=NO
        [✔] Enable DNSSEC support=NO

Options:

[✔] unbound CPU/Memory Performance tweaks
        [✔] Router Graphical GUI statistics TAB installed
        [✔] unbound-control FAST response ENABLED
[: 0: unknown operand

unbound Memory/Cache:

'key-cache-size:'       8388608 (8.00m)
        'msg-cache-size:'       8388608 (8.00m)
        'rrset-cache-size:'     16777216 (16.00m)

System Memory/Cache:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
        Mem:        903572     734464     169108       3180      64724     143612
        -/+ buffers/cache:     526128     377444
        Swap:      2097148          0    2097148

About unbound: https://nlnetlabs.nl/projects/unbound/about/

SNB Forums unbound support: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/unbound-authoritative-recursive-caching-dns-server.58967/

@Martineau, I think this is just a cosmetic bug?

'[: 0: unknown operand' right after the 'Options' list.

Code:
A:Option ==> ?

Version=2.16
        Local                                           md5=1b7b3571ada99aa2426b2b541465ffd5
        Github                                          md5=1b7b3571ada99aa2426b2b541465ffd5
        /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_manager.md5        md5=1b7b3571ada99aa2426b2b541465ffd5

Router Configuration recommended pre-reqs status:

[✔] Swapfile=2097148 kB
        [✔] DNS Filter=ON
        [✔] DNS Filter=ROUTER
        [✔] WAN: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver=NO
        [✔] Entware NTP server is running
        [✔] Enable DNS Rebind protection=NO
        [✔] Enable DNSSEC support=NO

Options:

[✔] unbound CPU/Memory Performance tweaks
        [✔] Router Graphical GUI statistics TAB installed
        [✔] unbound-control FAST response ENABLED
[: 0: unknown operand

unbound Memory/Cache:

'key-cache-size:'       8388608 (8.00m)
        'msg-cache-size:'       8388608 (8.00m)
        'rrset-cache-size:'     16777216 (16.00m)

System Memory/Cache:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
        Mem:        903572     734464     169108       3180      64724     143612
        -/+ buffers/cache:     526128     377444
        Swap:      2097148          0    2097148

About unbound: https://nlnetlabs.nl/projects/unbound/about/

SNB Forums unbound support: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/unbound-authoritative-recursive-caching-dns-server.58967/
Whoops! :oops: ...but fortunately it is indeed cosmetic.

Hotfix uploaded

Version=2.16
Github md5=b04720a48c2833af99cf27ef963e88f3

I think this is cosmetic as well

Code:
Do you want to speed up menu display (Removes unbound-control unnecessary LAN SSL validation)?

Reply 'y' or press [Enter]  to skip
y

unbound-control FAST response ENABLED (LAN SSL validation removed)

unbound-checkconf: no errors in /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf

[1583451378] unbound-control[15611:0] fatal error: could not send: Connection reset by peer
Executing '/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.postconf'
 Starting unbound...              done.

Please wait for up to 10 seconds for status.....unbound OK

I think this is cosmetic as well

Code:
Do you want to speed up menu display (Removes unbound-control unnecessary LAN SSL validation)?

Reply 'y' or press [Enter]  to skip
y

unbound-control FAST response ENABLED (LAN SSL validation removed)

unbound-checkconf: no errors in /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf

[1583451378] unbound-control[15611:0] fatal error: could not send: Connection reset by peer
Executing '/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.postconf'
 Starting unbound...              done.

Please wait for up to 10 seconds for status.....unbound OK
I think that’s a consequence of switching unbound-control connections from SSL to non-SSL while the unbound daemon is running. unbound-control reads the new conf file which says “Hey, no certs needed!” but unbound is still running with a config in memory that says certs ARE needed. So the connection closes.

Ssh in and run “top”. Hit “M” to sort by memory. What do you see?

Ctrl-c to exit top.

Did you change unbound number of threads?
upload_2020-3-6_11-11-35.png

This is what mine looks like. If @Jumpstarter is using more than one thread your question might be why @Jumpstarter is high.

Is anyone else having issues with the GUI? Ran sgui command after fresh installation (384.15) and even after a couple days I see "no data" in all graph areas and some just plain blank. All I get is the very bottom statistic. Running the command to show those extra stats in the terminal work just fine weirdly! But no matter what I have tried I cannot for the life of me get the Unbound GUI tab working. Any thoughts? Or am I alone there and need to reinstall everything? Lol

I have tried: full removal of unbound via "z" command and reboot, reinstall Unbound and enable, fully factory defaulting my device and selecting "initialize" to remove all AiProtect stats, force update after doing sgui command, am I missing something? I also tried the update button in the GUI page of course, and clearing browser cache and trying Firefox separately.

Thanks all, loving it otherwise!

Is anyone else having issues with the GUI? Ran sgui command after fresh installation (384.15) and even after a couple days I see "no data" in all graph areas and some just plain blank. All I get is the very bottom statistic. Running the command to show those extra stats in the terminal work just fine weirdly! But no matter what I have tried I cannot for the life of me get the Unbound GUI tab working. Any thoughts? Or am I alone there and need to reinstall everything? Lol

I have tried: full removal of unbound via "z" command and reboot, reinstall Unbound and enable, fully factory defaulting my device and selecting "initialize" to remove all AiProtect stats, force update after doing sgui command, am I missing something? I also tried the update button in the GUI page of course, and clearing browser cache and trying Firefox separately.

Did you enable extended stats by typing “s+” in the unbound_manager window?

Does your top graph not have data either?

What is the output of:
Code:
/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_stats.sh generate

juched probably has the answer
with the extended stats, s+. But you should also have seen something happening in the Cache Hits % in the last 24 hours even without extended stats, if I remember correctly. But you have to give it time and, obviously, you have to travel around the Internet. It starts off as a dot on the extreme right of the graph. So that graph probably was working but you just didn’t see it. As to the others below it, I feel sure juched has given the answer.

Did you enable extended stats by typing “s+” in the unbound_manager window?
Yes I tried that way, and also simply ran "sgui", after doing another removal of Unbound (and reboot) which automatically enabled stats+ first according to terminal output.

Does your top graph not have data either?
Correct, all but the bottom general statistics are empty or say "No data to display"
What is the output of:
Code:
/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_stats.sh generate
Calculated Cache Hit Percentage: 65.92
Adding new value to DB...
Calculating Daily data...
Calculating Weekly and Monthly data...
Outputting histogram performance data...
Outputting answers data...

No data on any graphs, one of them (the pie chart by default) is literally empty space attached screenshot

EDIT: Performing a factory reset did not help. Still seeing the attached even after letting stats grow. I can see extended stats, but they do not display.

SOLVED: I ended up getting really annoyed so I factory defaulted, reflashed 384.15, formatted JFFS (& my flash drive), enabled scripts + SSH, redid all my settings, AMTM installed Diversion (then reboot), changed list to Large, did Skynet, enabled + hosts in Diversion..., installed Unbound after all settled down CPU wise, then selected s+
Here's the new bit - installed uiDivStats to use user2.asp, so now Unbound GUI uses user3.asp when I enabled it second.
It works! Not sure if from reflash or using new user.asp file but I am happy

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    142.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Yes I tried that way, and also simply ran "sgui", after doing another removal of Unbound (and reboot) which automatically enabled stats+ first according to terminal output.

Correct, all but the bottom general statistics are empty or say "No data to display"

No data on any graphs, one of them (the pie chart by default) is literally empty space attached screenshot

EDIT: Performing a factory reset did not help. Still seeing the attached even after letting stats grow. I can see extended stats, but they do not display.

SOLVED: I ended up getting really annoyed so I factory defaulted, reflashed 384.15, formatted JFFS (& my flash drive), enabled scripts + SSH, redid all my settings, AMTM installed Diversion (then reboot), changed list to Large, did Skynet, enabled + hosts in Diversion..., installed Unbound after all settled down CPU wise, then selected s+
Here's the new bit - installed uiDivStats to use user2.asp, so now Unbound GUI uses user3.asp when I enabled it second.

Hmm... not sure.

The scripts automatically find the next unused "userX.asp" and use that. There is no standard number and it will change on boot depending on the order of startup. So I don't think that helped it. Wonder if somehow the /www/user folder was messed up. If this happens again check out the folder via ssh
Code:
/www/user/unbound_stats.sh/

You should see files like:
upload_2020-3-7_20-14-23.png

The next step is to look into the files, perhaps one run made them corrupt.

Glad it is working now.

These procedures would not be necessary. This problem occurs due to the dependence on current Jack Yas scripts.

Due to other projects I'm organizing, my unbound installation location is different. I only use ad/unbound.

For test, I downloaded unbound_stats.sh and unboundstats_www.asp and changed the paths for my unbound installation. I installed it. It didn't work: NO DATA DISPLAY.

Solution: unbound_stats.sh seems to have a dependency on Jack Yas scripts. I left the connmon script installed.

Last edited:
These procedures would not be necessary. This problem occurs due to the dependence on current uiDivStats files, on folder shared-jy.

Due to other projects I'm organizing, my unbound installation location is different. I only use ad/unbound.

For test, I downloaded unbound_stats.sh and unboundstats_www.asp and changed the paths for my unbound installation. I installed it. It didn't work: NO DATA DISPLAY.

Solution:
Install Diversion and uiDivStats provisionally. It works automatically.
For me, I removed Diversion and uiDivStats.

Yes, I will look to fix this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I will look to fix this.

when it comes to unbound/entware, the startup must be /jffs/scripts/post-mount, on end line:
Code:
sleep 1
/jffs/scripts/unbound/unbound_stats.sh startup

Last edited:
Hi,
Not sure if is this related to Unbound, but it never happened before... I think that for some reason it's breaking my Skynet setup, and this started to happen after I I did the upgrade to the last version of Unbound.
I did a full reset of the router and fresh install of amtm and all the scripts.
I first installed the Unbound - everu8working fine, but when I install Skynet it just says - Skynet filelock detected - and refuse to start. Then it restart my router and now all of a sudden skynet is working but not Unbound . I just uninstalled Skynet for the moment and see everything works fine ...
Any ideas?

Hi,
Not sure if is this related to Unbound, but it never happened before... I think that for some reason it's breaking my Skynet setup, and this started to happen after I I did the upgrade to the last version of Unbound.
I did a full reset of the router and fresh install of amtm and all the scripts.
I first installed the Unbound - everu8working fine, but when I install Skynet it just says - Skynet filelock detected - and refuse to start. Then it restart my router and now all of a sudden skynet is working but not Unbound . I just uninstalled Skynet for the moment and see everything works fine ...
Any ideas?

You have to be patient and wait for that filelock message to go away. It can take several minutes. Give it time and don’t rush to any false conclusions.

And welcome to the forum.

You have to be patient and wait for that filelock message to go away. It can take several minutes. Give it time and don’t rush to any false conclusions.

And welcome to the forum.
Thank you for your quick answer :)
I did and this was my first thought.... but the thing is that it breaks my internet connection as well ... it just restarts the router - I think is Skynet.
And this didn't happened before to do the update. Now I'm just running unbound by itself and o see no issues.
I'll give it another try later on when I'll go home.
* Glad to be here