What's new

Unknown udp packet received ...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pawnslinger

Occasional Visitor
I have just recently installed a new Asus RT-N66U router, and all is working well (as far as I can tell). But when I looked in the system log, it seems to be accumulating a lot of error messages! Mostly looking like this:

5 16:58:22 miniupnpd[604]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.0.50:1900

Should I worry about this? All of our UPnP devices are working normally, as far as I can tell. All except that this log file is clutterred up with these error messages. Can I do anything to stop them?

We have 2 UPnP servers and numerous clients in our house. It looks like these are coming from the clients. Since they are on port 1900, I assume they have to do with server discovery -- which is working okay. So why the errors? Do I have something set wrong in the router?

I have the same "problem" with these errors showing up in the log... In my case, the packets to port 1900 come from a DAP-1522 Wireless Bridge that serves wired home entertainment equipment with DLNA capabilities.

FYI: Running the latest official firmware (246).

I have just recently installed a new Asus RT-N66U router, and all is working well (as far as I can tell). But when I looked in the system log, it seems to be accumulating a lot of error messages! Mostly looking like this:

Should I worry about this? All of our UPnP devices are working normally, as far as I can tell. All except that this log file is clutterred up with these error messages. Can I do anything to stop them?

We have 2 UPnP servers and numerous clients in our house. It looks like these are coming from the clients. Since they are on port 1900, I assume they have to do with server discovery -- which is working okay. So why the errors? Do I have something set wrong in the router?

That is Upnp packet from 192.168.0.50 client, that is normal.

According to very very quick googling, the error message in the code:
syslog(LOG_NOTICE, "Unknown udp packet received from %s", sender_str);
may be related to a message header in the UDP packet..

It seems that the UPnP 1.1 spec states (p. 16) that in the UPnP service discovery messages:
the start-line MUST be one of the following three:
  • NOTIFY * HTTP/1.1\r\n
  • M-SEARCH * HTTP/1.1\r\n
  • HTTP/1.1 200 OK\r\n

However, the the code only expects NOTIFY or M-SEARCH, not HTTP/1.1?

I could be wrong, as I really did not have the time go deep into this and haven't tried to intercept the packets to find out what is going on... But this is what an initial study brought up.

Of course, there could be a malformed packed being sent from a badly programmed device. Or there could be a version mismatch in the UPnP protocol. I didn't check, but different UPnP versions could allow for different headers...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!