What's new

Update notification not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mo462

New Around Here
Hi guys,

This is my very first thread here so I'm gonna try to explain as clearly as possible. I own a Asus RT-AC66U_B1 with merlin's firmware. Since I flashed my router with merlin's, everything is going pretty well. For a few months now I stopped receiving a notification when a new firmware is available. I'm talking about the exclamation mark flashing in the upper right corner of the router's web interface. It was working and then not.

In "Administration/Firmware Upgrade" I have "Scheduled check for a new firmware availability" set to Yes. When I manually click the "Check" button, it works.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Check your DNS settings, and make sure you aren't blocking access to Cloudflare servers.

Check your DNS settings, and make sure you aren't blocking access to Cloudflare servers.

I'm actually using Cloudflare DNS servers in my WAN configuration with DoT. I had to disable "Validate unsigned DNSSEC replies" because it was still using my ISP's DNS servers. I started using DoT a few days ago but DNSSEC for a while now. Could it be because of that option?

Thank you!

I'm actually using Cloudflare DNS servers in my WAN configuration with DoT. I had to disable "Validate unsigned DNSSEC replies" because it was still using my ISP's DNS servers. I started using DoT a few days ago but DNSSEC for a while now. Could it be because of that option?

Thank you!

I don't know. Try it, you'll see.

I'm having the same problem. Ever since I moved from AC87U to AX88U, I no longer get that exclamation point. Additionally, I have an update-notification script in jffs/scripts that no longer works (probably because the scheduled update check isn't running). In Administration->Firmware Upgrade, I have the scheduled check option set to 'yes' so that's not the issue.

I can manually run jffs/scripts/update-notification and will get an email stating that a new firmware is available. Interestingly, if I run it before checking for a new version within the router web UI, I will get the following email:
"New firmware version . is now available for your router at 192.168.1.1."

However, if I manually check for updates at Administration->Firmware Upgrade and let the router find the new version (and so I get the exclamation point in the UI alerting me to the availability of a new firmware) and then manually run jffs/scripts/update-notification, I get the following email:
"New firmware version 384.19_0 is now available for your router at 192.168.1.1."

Edit: I also noticed that while with the AC87U, on the Firmware Upgrade section of the UI, if it found a new firmware I'd be given a pop-up with a changelog and a link directly to the new update (or at least the AC87U directory of the firmware archive). With the AX88U I do not get that - I just have to look at the "AiMesh router" section of that page to see that the latest is not the same as the installed, and then I have to go to the more generic link in the "Note" section at the top of that page and navigate manually to the correct directory. Not a huge deal and may be an intended change, just wanted to make a note of it.

That's strange. I'm still having the update notification problem. 384.19 is out since August 14 and I still don't have a notification. I think the update watchdog checks every 48H from what I've found. I'm curious how many people have this problem.

Hello.
One simple way to get notifications (need to read a little...) is to use free Integromat (since IFTT become less free.... ) with RSS feed from SourceForge.
So, my solution goes like that :
1. Check RSS feed for new items on a remote URL (copy folder RSS link and use it for remote URL , for example, for AC88U it is https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/rss?path=/RT-AC88U/Release )
2. Make a module in Integromat ( https://www.integromat.com ), and if new items, then add a router and do what you want (Telegram, What'sApp, PushBullet, Pusher, Email, SMS, you name it ! Integrator comes with more than 1000 integrations, you could even make a led blink on a little iot device, like esp8266 or arduino, powered from back usb. Hey ! that's a cool Idea ! )

Maybe the attached image speak more than me :) .
In the future, if have time, I will code a plugin for HomeAssistant (a homemade IoT gateway that run from a Raspberry PI) that could display a message on the board (personally I use an old tablet on a wall as dashboard). So much fun with such a pleasant community !

Like this, I will not stress router with scheduled tasks, not using his memory / cpu and so on.

Hope this helped you, as others posts helped me to come out with this solution. I was feeling in debt to give back to this wonderful community. Thanks you all.

Attachments

• firefox_gunFspaol3.png
    firefox_gunFspaol3.png
    181.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited: